• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature controlled CPU fans...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lastleg

Registered
As some of you might have read,

in another thread, I'm in the process of changing from a Volcano 7 CPU cooler to a Thermalright SI-97 on an Asus A7N8X mobo and an AMD 3200+ chip.

What I liked about the old Volcano was the low noise at idle and not having to fiddle with knobs to increase the speed to keep up with demand on the CPU. I've read, however here that this setup leaves a lot to be desired (poor placement of the thermistor essentially).

The new SI-97 recommends a Panaflo 92mm fan that, I suppose is meant to run constantly at 2100 rpm, producing 42.7 cfm @ 27dBa.

Question is, should I be looking for a 92mm fan that is temperature controlled (and if so what recommendations do you have), or just live with the constant drone? Thanks all!

James

You could just get a fan with variable resistance (i.e. knob that let's you turn the fan speed up/down). They're pretty common and quite easy to use. You could just use a program like Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor temps.

I do use the MBM5 (case reads 27c and CPU socket reads 50c)

But I'm kinda the lazy type who doesn't pay too much constant attention to the tray <grn>. There are also some processes that are schedualed to run in the wee hours and I may not be there to "turn up the volume" LOL Are the Vantec thermo-fans frowned upon? (They're called "case fans" - but does that matter?

James

Thanks Archilochus,

That's the fasn I ordered to use with the SI-97. I just wish somehow it was "linked" to CPU demand so that at idle and low usage it'd be much quieter. I just read a review where they tried to use the Antec SmartCool as a CPU fan, slipping the probe between the hs and CPU - but it was rather disapointing. Too bad - seems to me that, like a supercharger on a car - you only really need the extra power *sometimes* and ideally want it to "kick in" automatically.

James

Yes, the fan ordered is an LIBX... now, just to demonstrate my ignorance...

I have NO idea if the mobo has fan speed control <duh, sez I> It's an Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe I bought from a friend who's upgrading to a 64.

Just looked it up in the manual (handy thiungs these eh? LOL) "MB, CPU Temperature - The onboard hardware monitor automatically detects the MB and CPU temperatures"

and

"Q-Fan control This field allows you to enable or disable the ASUS Q-Fan feature that smartly adjusts the fan speeds for more efficient system operation."

Looks like I'm in "bidness"! Does this mean any fan I choose can be connected to the mobo and it'll kick into high gear under load? Kewl!! Thanks a BUNCH folks!!

James

Does this mean any fan I choose can be connected to the mobo

Nope, there's a max. wattage allowed on the mobo headers..See if your manual covers that!

Rule of thumb is, 0.50 amps/ 6 watts...Better to know than to guess, IMHO.. :)

Archi,

it sez "350 mA - 740 mA. The Panaflo L1Bx says it's 110mA. Hmmm... does this mean I can't use it thru the MB?

James

Considering that 110mA is lower than the min. - max. your good to go..

110mA = 0.11 amps.... 350mA = 0.35 amps.... 740mA = 0.74 amps

The fan sticker says, 0.20 amps= 200mA ... I go by it instead of the PDF specs, as I've found the sticker to state a higher rating than the spec sheets..;)

When I got my new PSU I noticed it had fan only connectors that are controleld by the temperature in the PSU. I was thinking of hooking my tornado up to this and let the PSu control my CPU fan speed. It may work as my system is in a Super Lanboy and the bottom fan on the PSU is about 1" from my SI-97 so I think it owuld suck alot of heat form the heatsink through the PSU. That mght be bad though! Just another idea, but I don't know if it would work or not.

Back