• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about cooling & Artic Silver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeke009

Since I began watching the prices of the GeForce3 cards I have become hooked on this messageboard! I have read allot about cooling and have only experienced the tip of the iceberg, from what I gather.

I am still thinking about buying a GeForce3, yes... I know about the new Radeon. What I am asking is about is Artic Silver II. Does this contribute to significantly lower temps of the GPU and CPU when it is applied? Which ever vid card I am going to buy, from what I read I should remove whatever "goop" (as some have called it :D ) and use Artic Silver II instead. Should I even apply it to my CPU for additional cooling or lower temps?

And in the Orbs (I have the Golden Orb) are so inadequate, which HSF do you recommend. One that is affordable and will not result in me been short changed at the bar for a few weekends.:rolleyes:

It is a Thermal Take one, not some generic look alike. Found it at a show for about $10-15 and mine is rather quiet. ASUS PC Probe reports that it seems to "stop" for about 5-7 seconds at time... I do not understand that at all.

Thanks all!! And at a time like this... God Bless.

1. yes, artic silver is good, why, because it is silicon mixed with bits of silver, which is a very good, if slightly expensive conductor. there is also a paste using copper made by someone but it is slightly worse at conducting, i cant wait for artic gold. Use it on anything on your cup you will benifit the most, but if you are willing to use it on your graphics card as well. do

2.For a heatsink i will recomend the SK6, it is the best and fits socketed AMD and Intel cpus, it is aslo made out of copper for improved heat transfer, yes it is slightly more expensive then 'normal heatinks' but no where near the price of a swiftec

I use ASII on my CPU,GPU & also my Northbridge chip. If you ask me use it whenever there is a heatsink w/ or w/o a fan just to make sure.

Thanks allot, if I can find it locally I will get some today. Otherwise I will have to order some the next time I order off the net.

Anyone know of a place in the Minneapolis area? :D

the overclocker said:
i cant wait for artic gold.

Gold??

Gold is an excellent electrical conduit but there are better metals to use as a thermal conduit......

Thermal Conductivity, W/cm-K
Metals:

Aluminum 2.165
Copper 3.937
Gold 2.913
Platinum .734
Silver 4.173

Arctic Silver II features:

Made with 99.8% pure micronized silver.

78% to 82% silver content by weight.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as2.htm

Back