• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Harddrive Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, so I just got my dad a brand new Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB HDD for Christmas. Went to install it, and it installed fine. Transfered the data from one of this 120GB HDDs to the 200, everything went fine. Took the 120 out, turned the computer back on, and gave the 200 the same drive letter as the 200. So now, everything points completely to the 200, that was pointing to the 120. Go to play a game, and the computer locks up. :confused:

Thinking maybe something went wrong with the transfer, I put the 120 back in (keep in mind that everything is still pointing to the 200 now, nothing points to the 120). Go to play a game while I thinking about other more reliable solutions, and it players fine. Not a single lockup. Ok, I think maybe it was just something temporary, a fluke. Take the 120 out, turn it back on, go to play a game, and it locks up.

For some reason, whenever the 120 is not present in the system, it will lock up. Even though nothing actually points to the 120 ( Now assigned to L: instead of E: ) Any solutions?

EDIT: Also to state, I put the 200 in my computer, and I never once seemed to get a lockup. It just seems relative to my fathers computer. Does anybody know of a problem that could cause this?

lol, sorry.

Intel P4 2.8GHz
Windows XP Professional SP2
SY-P4X400 DRAGON Ultra Platinum Edition
1 Maxtor 120 GB HDD (Used to be 2, swapped one for the 200)
1 Maxtor 40 GB HDD
1 Western Digital 200 GB HDD
1GB RAM
1 DVD-RW
1 DVD-ROM

Any other info needed?

I think it may be some sort of driver issue perhaps? Unlikely but I guess its a possibility. Seems very strange though - perhaps removing all drivers from Device Manager may help? Let it redetect everything from scratch?

Also is it properly connected? What system are you trying it in?

Remove the Primary IDE controller and let it reinstall on reboot. That should solve your problems.

And make sure your other hardware has up to date in their drivers as well.

Are your HDD'S IDE or SATA? :)

I think these may nnot be directly related to your problem but could be useful:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-5453.html
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/132.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/search...alse&query=Large+hard+drives+Windows+XP&x=13&
Pay particular attention to the 1st article in my MS kb database search. Keywords I used: "large hard drives windows xp".

I know this is not a precise answer but this is the best I could come up with!

Good Luck!

I will try all of these, and the HDDs are all IDE. The 48-Bit Block issue (all 3 links) is not an issue on this system, as its running SP2, and in such has passed the 137GB limit. Thank you for the links though *runs off to try solutions*

try running norton system works norton utilities it can find some of the drive letter changes and repair the hidden drive changes. also might not hurt to back up that games saved games files and then reinstall the game straight to the 200.

if that dosent work you might need an os reinstall.

also did u happen to get all the system files over to that 200 gig drive. sometimes u cant move em unless u ghost it from dos or something to that effect

Gosh I missed the most obvious point and completely misunderstood your problem! Sorry :D

You can't just copy one drive to another without ghosting it. (As also said by Airbornederekc). System and Hidden files won't be transferred. You need to do a full OS reinstall/repair.

I think this might work : attrib -s -h -r *.* , before copying everything. I don't know for sure if the *.* has an effect on subfolders.

Its easier to reinstall the OS. As for the drive letter arrangement, I think you need to use something akin to the Partition Magic Drivemapper.

Back