• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BAD G skill ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WalMart4Life

Registered
ok i just got some g skill ram from newegg and its bad this is the 2nd pair that is bad i run memtest86 and it found errors is it me or the ram. here is what i got http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-006&depa=0. also when i put both sticks in the computer crashes after post at the windows sceen every time with a mem error. but when i have only one stick in my mobo it works fine... is it my mobo its the av8 with bois up to date and my ram is in slot 3.. and with both sticks its in 3 and 4 :confused:

WalMart4Life said:
ok i just got some g skill ram from newegg and its bad this is the 2nd pair that is bad i run memtest86 and it found errors is it me or the ram. here is what i got http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-006&depa=0. also when i put both sticks in the computer crashes after post at the windows sceen every time with a mem error. but when i have only one stick in my mobo it works fine... is it my mobo its the av8 with bois up to date and my ram is in slot 3.. and with both sticks its in 3 and 4 :confused:

If this was a one-case thing, I'd say the memory was bad. However, you've experienced the same results on two sets of ram. This leaves me to believe that your motherboard might be at fault here. It is odd that in both situations, the board will run one stick fine but chokes when two are used in conjunction. If possible, please try your sticks in another motherboard to see if you can replicate these results. Otherwise, I will stand by my hunch that the motherboard is to blame. Of course, I have no concrete proof, but it appears logical in this situation.

deception``

I have to agree with Deception on his assumption... have the exact same G. Skill setup...and these sticks will do 300FSB at 2.85v with 8-4-4-2.5 1:1 timings...I did a lot of research on 939 MB's and was reading how the AV8 was even picker then the NEO 2 on memory...which is one major reason why I did not get the AV8...

A few things to try...

1. Search around and see if someone has a beta BIOS out that might help.
2. Test those sticks out on another system to make sure it is not your MB causeing the memory to error out.
3. RMA a new set.
4. Use something other then TCCD memory.
5. Get a new MB that wont hamper your OCing all that much.

and my computer runs sooooo hot at idle with a xp-120 i idle at 43 and at loads it just hits 75c like in 30 sec when im using prime95....

should i rma the cpu? you think its just runs sooo hot and i have reset the heatsink over 3 times

I would really check again to make sure the HS is fully seated on the CPU...check and make sure the Xp-120 isnt hitting something and making the HS sit at a slight angle...just enough to get it clipped...but still enough to cause the HS to not fully seat on the CPU...

Are you running quiet and cool?

Also...what thermal paste are you running and what fan do you have on the XP-120?

well my ram WORKS just tested it out at a friends house i did not run a mem test tho i think i should just rma my mobo and cpu what do you guys think i should do just rma if off? and the heat sink is on fine

WalMart4Life said:
well my ram WORKS just tested it out at a friends house i did not run a mem test tho i think i should just rma my mobo and cpu what do you guys think i should do just rma if off? and the heat sink is on fine

There is no reason for your temperatures to be so high. Chances are you have incorrectly seated the XP-120 (per the previous suggestion) and it needs to be re-fitted. 75c is outrageous for any Athlon 64 processor.

deception``

WalMart4Life said:
well i heard that some mobos heat gage or off you think that maybe happing?

Yes, it is possible that the temps are being mis-read; however, I'd still make a second pass at the heatsink just to be on the safe side.

deception``

If your HS is "hot to the touch", then it is probably seated incorrectly.
Also, you might want to review your thermal compound application procedure. If you are using arctic silver, follow the exact procedure described on their website. Air gaps or bubbles would severely hamper your cooling ability.

I have also heard about the XP-120 having problems with surface flatness. You might want to check on that.

As for your RAM are they seated in the correct slots?

i just rma the cpu for a new one and got my money back for the mobo i dont want to deal with this **** anymore

Why didn't you go with a Neo plat. to begin with? That seems to be the hot board at this current point in time.

I found why i was overheating so bad. When i was cleaning off my cpu for the 2nd time to reset it in i remembe seeing a gap and not even thinking about it. And now i know why i overheat so bad this is kinda what it looks like i will upload pics tomarrow
untitled14hc.jpg

Back