• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to RAM - OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lenster45

I have 2x16 G Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14-16GTZ.
MB is Asrock Z370 Taichi with 8700K at 4.9
Have been running XMP 2.0 3200 for past 4 years and I decided to try to oc the ram.
Base AIDA BM is read 47825 write 48177 copy 45419 latency 45.6

I set the XMP to 3400 and voltage to 1.4 no other changes
New AIDA BM is read 50378 write 34844 copy 39593 latency 42.08

Not sure why writes and copy got worse.

I'd imagine some timings changed (raised) since you used auto settings. Hard to tell without sfreenshots of before and after of cpuz (showing memory and spd tabs).

I recommend taking a screenshot of the timings at the lower clock and rewriting exactly the same with a higher RAM clock. At a higher clock, the motherboard is retraining RAM for a more relaxed set of timings. Maybe some timings are just too relaxed.

Anyway, this is a Samsung B dual-rank kit, so you can expect it will run at much tighter timings.
Here are two of my forum reviews with similar modules:

I don't have anything newer, and I clearly skipped some 2x16GB kits as I had more of them. Either way, maybe you will find some tips there, especially in the second link.
ASRock Timing Configurator should give a list of timings, but I'm not sure which version will work with the Z370 mobo. It's just easier to take screenshots of all timings.

Here is a snpshot of CPUZ at 3200 and 3400. All that seems changed is DRAM Frequency and FSB:DRAM ratio. Good idea to tak a pic of all my settings and compare them . Will do that.

Attachments

• 3200 to 3400 comparison.jpg
    3200 to 3400 comparison.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 8
Took your advice. Set XMP to 3400 and DRAM voltage to 1.4. Settings that were changed were: TRFC, TWR_L, TWR_S, TFAW, TCWL, TWRRD_DR, TWRRD_DD, TWRWR_DG,RTL CHA, RTL CHB.
I changed all but the last two to the XMP 3200 settings but Memtest started throwing a few errors. A good exercise, but I'm probably going to UG later this year so no big deal.

Thanks for the help.

Upgrade. Looking at 13700K and Tomahawk DDR5 (If they ever get in stock) and If EKWB ever gets the LGA1700 backplate for their 360AIO in stock LOL

Back