• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0E Voltage reading issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doh boy

Ok, i have a an ASUS P5GD1 motherboard and an Intel 530, right now i have the p4 running at 3.5 ghz...but im not sure about the voltage.

in the BIOS, i have it set to 1.3375 volts. The bios then reports the voltage as 1.35-1.36 volts...but when i use cpu-z....it says the core is at 1.51-1.54 volts....and then if i use speedfan...it says 1.39 to 1.4 volts. Now....no other monitoring utility seems to work correctly with my mb, so i cant figure out which of these voltages are correct. The max voltage specified on the cpu box is 1.4....so obviously i am worried.....

which voltage reading is more correct...the BIOS, CPU-Z, or speedfan?

Last edited:
Asus overvolts at idle and droops under load. When you are in the BIOS, there is some load being pulled. CPU-Z is close to idle unless you have some other program crunching in the background. Isn't there an Asus probe program that comes on the install CD? Maybe you can download it?

Last edited:
What the bios read is more likely correct than any other indication outside of direct measurment with a voltmeter.

yea...i noticed that when i was running 2 instances of prime95....the voltage drops to what its supposed to be in speed fan....and guess what....

i have my cpu at 3.6 ghz on 1.3375 volts and it was successfully tested for 12 hours with prime95! but i upped it to 1.35 volts because there were a few minor errors being produced in windows. according to the bios, my idle temp is around 36-37C...system is 31C and its quite chilly (60F) in my room. sadly..i dont really know the load temp because the programs, even the ASUS motherboard probe, report the temperature incorrectly. they say the idle temp of cpu is the same as the system, which i highly doubt.

btw...the asus cd that came with my mb is unreadable, its as if its corrupted :p i had to download the drivers/apps from the asus website

larva said:
What the bios read is more likely correct than any other indication outside of direct measurment with a voltmeter.

Sorry to be OT, but how exactly do you mesure vcore using a DMM? I was wondering that myself last night when i was checking my OCZ's rails.

Depends on the motherboard, usually people get out the output of the voltage regulator responsible for the Vcore. You have to know a little bit about the circuitry you are dealing with to know where, and it changes depending on the design of the board. If you really want to know, I would go to xtremesystems.org's forum and search for you particular MB. You will likely find pics of someone showing some suitable pickup points for a direct Vcore measurement.

larva said:
Depends on the motherboard, usually people get out the output of the voltage regulator responsible for the Vcore. You have to know a little bit about the circuitry you are dealing with to know where, and it changes depending on the design of the board. If you really want to know, I would go to xtremesystems.org's forum and search for you particular MB. You will likely find pics of someone showing some suitable pickup points for a direct Vcore measurement.

Easier said than done :p People throw it out there like it's easy, thought maybe i was missing something obvious. I'll do some searching (it's for the Abit IC7-G).

Back