• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to set Bus Speed to 133MHz on KT7A Raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Moonlight

Hi, please help me. I'm a newbie for this OC thing, and have some question.

I'm using KT7A Raid and Tb 1GHz which runs at 100x10. And I'm planning to change the CPU Operating Speed to 133x7.5. I read that Kt7a raid is capable of running at 133MHz. (I read that it will increase the performance, even that it's not really overclocking) But when I try to change the setting, reboot, and it hangs. The question is what should I do to change the CPu Operating Speed to 133x7.5? Please tell me completely about what should be set.
Do I have to unlock the multiplier (connecting L1 bridges) first? And what CPU FSB/PCI clock setting that I can go with 133x7.5. Is changing the FSB to 133 affect the PCI bus speed? (I read in the Paul's UnOfficial ABIT KT7A Motherboard (www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm) in the Misc section that if I set the processor at 133x7.5, other buses' speed will continue to work at the same speed. Here's the information from the site.

"The principal advantage of using the KT133A chipset is that it allows the processor to run using a higher FSB and lower multiplier setting to achieve its speed.  Thus a 1G processor can be set as 7.5x133 rather than 10x100.  This means that data is passed between the CPU and KT133A chipset at a higher rate.  Other buses such as the PCI, AGP, ISA and memory bus continue to work at the same speed."

But if I change the setting to 133x7.5, how can the PCI bus still work at 33MHz (CMIIW, isn't the PCI works at 1/3 of the bus speed). So if I change the bus speed to 133MHz, than the PCI bus must be 44.3 MHz. Is it save for the PCI to work at these speed? I'm getting a little confused with these Bus Speed, PCI bus and multiplier thing. I really appreciated if someone can explain them to me and give me a step by step guidance to whatever changing must be made to achieve the 133x7.5 CPU setting. Thanks....

PS: And what about the core and I/O voltage? Should I change them also? And do I have to change the HSF also?(I used the standard that comes with my CPU (TaiSol)).

You've got to unlock the multiplier on the cpu.
For Durons you need to close the L1 jumpers with graphite. Think it's the same also for newest Athlons...
The enter the BIOS and set the CPU clock and mult as "user define", so you can choos both of the parameters.
Instead of 100x10 you sould go for 133x7.5.
The FSB table lets you choice between 133/33 and 133/43: if you set 133/33 the PCI bus goes 33Mhz (FSB/4), if you chose 133/43 it goes to 43Mhz (133/3 as you said).
You don't need any Vcore change cose the CPU clock it's the same as before. If the ram is PC100 and not PC133 (I don't think so..), then you can try to higher the VIO if it locks.
Hope this helps...

Ok,
I'll try your suggestion. But what about the Dram Clock, should it be at HostCLK or HostClk+PCIClk? I'm using PCI 133 Sdram.

Thanks.

Mr.Moonlight said:
Ok,
I'll try your suggestion. But what about the Dram Clock, should it be at HostCLK or HostClk+PCIClk? I'm using PCI 133 Sdram.

Thanks.

When you got RAM that is 133MHz & a CPU thats 200FSB(100DDR) like what you have you set the DRAM CLOCK to HCLK+PCICLK. When you decide to go with a 266FSB(133DDR) & with 133MHz of RAM you need to set the DRAM CLOCK to HOSTCLK. I have the same board as you & this was easy enough to do just remember to lower the multiplier to get the same clockspeed which brings me to this point. I never got the pencil trick to work on my CPU. The KT7A-RAID seems to want a clean & strong signal thru the L1 bridges & had to use a conductive ink pen(silver paint) to unlock my chip. Make sure that your RAM is 133. Try to set the I/O voltage to 3.4V in the BIOS & it'll show up in VIAhm as 3.5V usually. The board seems to always have a +.1V added to the final readings so set it to what you see in the software.

Ditto what these other guys said.... make sure the L1's are adequately unlocked and use USER DEFINE to set the CPU to 133x7.5. Your Taisol unit should be perfectly fine, you will most likely not see any changes in load temperatures.

You might want to try setting it to 100.7.5 just to make sure the 7.5 multiplier works first (results in 750 MHz), and then bump the FSB to 133.

Good luck, keep us posted.

SickBoy

I've got the KT7A (non-raid) board and I was getting some stability problems when trying to run my 1Ghz axia at 10x133.

I also understood that the agp and pci bus speeds would be kept at 66 and 33Mhz respectively.

However, when I looked at the mainboard info using Sisoft Sandra, it reported that they were running at 88 and 44Mhz.

Is Sandra reporting this incorrectly or is there something I've not set up properly? I used the SoftMenu user defined setting and set it to 133/33.

Also, I can't actually find a way of setting the AGP bus speed/multiplier. Have I missed this or is just automatic?

Thanks for any info.

Graham Goodwin said:
I've got the KT7A (non-raid) board and I was getting some stability problems when trying to run my 1Ghz axia at 10x133.

I also understood that the agp and pci bus speeds would be kept at 66 and 33Mhz respectively.

However, when I looked at the mainboard info using Sisoft Sandra, it reported that they were running at 88 and 44Mhz.

Is Sandra reporting this incorrectly or is there something I've not set up properly? I used the SoftMenu user defined setting and set it to 133/33.

Also, I can't actually find a way of setting the AGP bus speed/multiplier. Have I missed this or is just automatic?

Thanks for any info.

Make a sig so we get to see the specifics of your rig & we can better help you. We still can't change the AGP & PCI dividers to user define so it is done automatically for us. The limitation of this is that when we set the FSB higher than 133MHz it will go out of spec. What settings are you using on that chip?

sonny said:

Make a sig so we get to see the specifics of your rig & we can better help you. We still can't change the AGP & PCI dividers to user define so it is done automatically for us. The limitation of this is that when we set the FSB higher than 133MHz it will go out of spec. What settings are you using on that chip?

Thanks for the response. I tried it with a multiplier of 10 and fsb at 133Mhz and used the user defined setting of 133/33 in SoftMenu. Does this setting not actually do what it says?

Graham Goodwin said:

Thanks for the response. I tried it with a multiplier of 10 and fsb at 133Mhz and used the user defined setting of 133/33 in SoftMenu. Does this setting not actually do what it says?

It does exactly what it says. When you go over 133MHz/33(266FSB) your AGP & PCI will go out of spec like if you run at 140 or whatever. Check here for a more complete explanation. You overclocked your 1GHz to 1.33GHz when you set the clockspeed at 10 X 133. Could that have been the cause of the instability? Check to see if you have heat related problems or a lack of voltage in your VCore value.

Last edited:
sonny said:

It does exactly what it says. When you go over 133MHz/33(266FSB) your AGP & PCI will go out of spec like if you run at 140 or whatever. Check here for a more complete explanation. You overclocked your 1GHz to 1.33GHz when you set the clockspeed at 10 X 133. Could that have been the cause of the instability? Check to see if you have heat related problems or a lack of voltage in your VCore value.

Sorry, you'll have to excuse me for being a bit dense here, but I'm new to this:confused: The thing is, I haven't run it at 140. I've only run it at 133 which should be in spec and, from what I've read, should divide by 1/4 for the PCI and the AGP should be twice the PCI - 33 and 66 respectively.

However, Sisoft Sandra reports the PCI at 44 and the AGP at 88.

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something here and I'd be very grateful for further guidance.

your chip is rated for 1000mhz(10x100) not 1330(10x133).You need to unlock your chip and set it to 7.5x133.What you are doing is OC'ing the chip by 330mhz.When you do this without other adjustments(ie., upping the voltage) it will most likely be unstable.

Graham Goodwin said:

Sorry, you'll have to excuse me for being a bit dense here, but I'm new to this:confused: The thing is, I haven't run it at 140. I've only run it at 133 which should be in spec and, from what I've read, should divide by 1/4 for the PCI and the AGP should be twice the PCI - 33 and 66 respectively.

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something here and I'd be very grateful for further guidance.

Are you using Sandra2001? The reading "might" be off but try to set your DRAM CLOCK to HOSTCLK. Make sure you are using USER DEFINE to set your clockspeed 'cause there is a weird option in the BIOS that does not calculate the proper PCI & AGP bus speed(it's the one that adjusts the FSB in 1MHz increments & the divisors stays at a constant this is different from the + feature that supposedly does not affect the AGP or PCI but it does)

Graham Goodwin said:

I had the same question a month ago. Your PCI/AGP bridge is IN FACT running at 33 / 66 using the 133/33 selection in softmenuIII. I brought up this problem on Sharkyforum. here is the thread. http://www.sharkyforums.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/004874.html

It is the version of SiSoft Sandra you are using that is the problem. If you are using 2001 it dosen't recongnize the 1/4 divider for some reason. I downloaded the newest version of SiSoft Sandra 2001TE and it correctly recognized my 1/4 PCI/AGB divider and all is right with the world. Here ia a link for you:

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10102-100-6313817.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-1.6313817

I hope this helps :D

DeerHunter said:

I hope this helps :D

It certainly does:) Very many thanks for that DeerHunter and thanks to all others who responded. I am downloading it now and at least I can now try out the other suggestions for a stable system knowing that the pci and agp speeds are ok:)

Thanks again.

Back