• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What wireless hardware actually works?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtskier11

Registered
Ok. Im sick of Linksys's ****e. Im tired of wireless all together! But its all I can use where I live. Who knows of what wireless routers and adapters that actually work in Windows XP. This point in time I have a WRT54G with Sveasoft Satori on it. And using using Linksys adapters on my other 2 machines. So, what works??? This wireless bit has me pissed off to no end! HELP!

Last edited:
What is the problem you had with the linksys ones? Linksys are know to be very good reouter oer D-link and other companies.

Mr.Guvernment said:
What is the problem you had with the linksys ones? Linksys are know to be very good reouter oer D-link and other companies.

Constant connecting and disconnecting. Crappy signal. Everything is fine and right after a restart. Then the signal slowly creeps down to nothing. I cannot figure out whats up. Then it falls back to its connecting/disconnecting crap.

I haven't been a fan of Linksys for the last two years or so that I've been using them, they've been "twitchy" and very sensitive about installation, drivers, etc.

Netgear, D-Link, those would be my two choices.

If you want a wireless router, look at 3Com product. They even have a VPN firewall intergrated one also if you want.

I've tried Trendware, they're better than my friend's Linksys in term of compatibility as wall as easy to intall.

Hope you find the one you'd like

jtskier11 said:
Constant connecting and disconnecting. Crappy signal. Everything is fine and right after a restart. Then the signal slowly creeps down to nothing. I cannot figure out whats up. Then it falls back to its connecting/disconnecting crap.

How far from the wireless router are you? is this while being right beside it, or a room away?

what wireless card are you using? linkysys as well?

Mr.Guvernment said:
How far from the wireless router are you? is this while being right beside it, or a room away?

what wireless card are you using? linkysys as well?

I have a computer in the basement not but 12 feet away and the connection is flaky. Im using Linksys WUSB11 USB adapters.

I have a D-Link wireless B router which was working great until the router started rebooting randomly. I sent it to D-Link and they sent me a new one within 2 weeks. It has been working great since. I use a D-Link PCI wireless card and a D-Link wireless PCMCIA card in my laptop. The router is on the 2nd floor and I can use the laptop in the basement. Never had any connectivity problems with it.

For the 2 weeks I didn't have the router I got a Linksys B router and it worked fine with my D-Link cards. But my brother-in-law was staying with us and we could not get his Centrino laptop to connect at all. When I got the D-Link back it connected perfectly. I also have had 2 friends who have had Linksys wired routers and had problems with them so I will be avoiding Linksys from now on.

I'm using a WRT54G (with firmware from Sourceforge) and a built-in Broadcom a/b/g adapter. Also have 2 other laptops here using Linksys B adapters, and one desktop on a wired adapter. All are rock solid all the time.

I have no experience with USB wireless adapters, but I know that the Windows Wireless Zero service is apparently giving wireless users problems. Try disabling that once you have your connection set up (which you already do).

Also, if you are having problems with your router, I would personally try going back to the stock Linksys firmware. Sveasoft, even though it's not free, is still a hacked firmware and who knows if it is really compatible with all the adapter types out there? It's easy to reinstall if it doesn't help your problem, and it's a good place to start.

This is my third Linksys router, all of which have been replaced for want of new features, not because of any problems with them. My first Linksys router, at least 5 years old now, is currently running in somebody else's network without a hitch. I would definitely buy another Linksys router if I had need of one.

Well. In a last attempt.... I moved my router farther away from my modem........ No more conect/disconnect. :drool: Plus signal strength went way up to 80-90% on the majority of my wireless machines. I had no idea that having the router somewhat close to the modem would do that? Or will it??

I use a US Robotics 802.11g router and PCI card. Its awesome,after upgrading my firmware Im never below 125MBps.

Awake77 said:
I use a US Robotics 802.11g router and PCI card. Its awesome,after upgrading my firmware Im never below 125MBps.
i have one too and i get some nice transfer rates :D

Awake77 said:

i have a SMC which is a branch of US robotics. its cheap and it works good. but if u go wireless the distance is kinda low. like it douse 20F with 1/6 bars ( or signals )

im about 75ft away from mine right now and i get 75-80% signal strength. maybe becuase its the cheap one it dosn't work as well?

I use a Linksys WCG200, which is a router & cable modem together. I am having a hard time getting a stable sygnal to my other rig which is only 25' away. For the wireless adapter I have been using a USB 2 thumb drive unit from SMC and the performance is "craptacular" at best.

I have ordered a booster and a PCI card with a loooong antenna from the egg. I'm hoping my signal strength will pickup. I'll let you know how it works.

Hawking Signal Booster

Xterrasys Wireless 54 Mbps pci card

I sure hope this works, I am like you, tired of the cruddy performance of wireless tech.

This is my 3rd wireless router. I have tried Microsoft Mn500, Lynksys WSB11, and now the Linksys WCG200. I hope this will do it.

I originally tried wireless networking with a D-Link router and card, and got rid of it for the US Robotics after one day. I was *supposed* to get about $60 worth of rebates from Tiger Direct for the USR hardware, but that was 10 months ago so I dont think its coming.

I can't wait to get the 802.11 Compact Flash for my Dell X50 - portable internet radio anywhere in the house!:)

Back