• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron 1.6 cache unlocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

I just bought a 1.6 ghz Duron applebred cpu- it has 64kb LI and 64kb L2 cache-

I have read this cpu is basically a 1800 T-bred with only 64 kb of the 256 kb L2 cache enabled. I have also heard of a hard cpu mod that will enable all 256 kb of the L2 cache, turning the Duron into a T-bred.

So I am looking for a how to link or advice on how to do this mod. I'm not too clear on the bridges though.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Google searching for the answer...

I looked at both of those links when I enabled the L2 cache on mine. It definitely helps performance. I am not great at explaining things, but this is what I did:
I took a pushpin and scraped off the center of the last L2 bridge (the one that is cut). I scraped the lamination until I could see gold in the center of the bridge. Then I just took a mechanical pencil and filled in the bridge, making sure not to touch any of the bridges around it. If any of the lead touches any of the bridges around it, just erase it. After that, I put the cpu back in and it booted as an Athlon XP 1900+ (or 1800, I don't remember as I overclocked it before testing it). If it boots fine as an Athlon XP, then stress the L2 cache somehow to make sure it is not defective. I just ran some benchmarks like SuperPi and 3DMark and the Cache/Memory Benchmark in Sandra 2005. It may take a little extra voltage to get it to run at the same speed as before.
Good luck on yours.

You first need to know if the cpu is super locked or not. If it is, the chances of it working are very low.

Great chips. One of my favourite chips actually, up there with the 1700XP DLT3C, Celeron 300 and the P4 2.4C.

I just bought another one recently to make another FAD cruncher.

The really galling thing is that they are going so cheap, I'm tempted to have one shipped over. I mean, that's like £20 or so. The one I just bought cost me £24 all in. Not fair.

My two cores ordered 3 days apart had same exact steppings, but one has a blue core and the other one is pink.

Anyone did such thing on Morgan?
edit: Hm, I think not.

Last edited:
I have the Duron overclocked to 12 X 150 - 1800 in that PCChips mobo (combo deal).

Running great.

1st shot at unlocking the cache didn't work, will try again next week.

Back