• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unexpected shutdown/fortron 530W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkdgbroyles

When playing WOW, computer loses power as if someone unplugged it. I then had to turn off the psu from the back to have it come on again. I guess I reset it. Is this the surge protect feature that kicked in? Or is this unusual?

Doesn't sound in any way usual to me. Could be a power supply or motherboard issue. Only way to tell is for it to happen predictably so you can change the supply and see what difference that makes. Is the power circuit the machine plugged into stable?

Well, What It Is Plugged Into Is A Cheap Surge Protector. It Is Also Plugged Into With Other Things Such As Cable Modem,speakers,and Other Things. It Is 530 Watts,is That Drawing Too Much?

WOW. wHAT'S wITH tHE wIERD cAPITALIZATION?

Maybe there's a slight short between your mobo and case that went away because something shifted around. You may need an insulating washer for one of the mobo mounting holes or add extra support near the corners of the mobo to keep it and the case from flexing and touching one another. I put standoffs in the corner holes even if there's no matching hole in the case for them (may have to flip upside down -- use nut on mobo, or get nylon standoffs and cut them off at the bottom), but stick-on rubber feet against the case will work, too.

Any PSU that's not pure junk will contain a line filter that also provides some protection against surges.

Now I played WOW ( is the capitalization ok) all day today and 5 more hours yesterday without any power loss. Just a power interruption or something? I took off the side panel and looked in to see if anything might be touching something it shouldn't but nothing unusual. Oh, one thing, my computer desk is stainless steel. If my case touched it, could it cause a problem? The wheels of the desk are rubber .

You'll have to check the mobo on both sides to rule out any short to the case. I can't imagine a good 500W+ PSU, especially a Fortron/Sparkle, straining to run the system you described, unless you also have a bunch of 10,000 RPM HDs to really load down the +12V rail.

The desk being made of metal won't hurt a thing.

well ,I did install a new fan 3 hours before it happened. Maybe i moved something in the way of something,touching behind the mobo.

Back