• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Cell Phone To Get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xiode

Ok, so here's the deal. My birthday is in 27 days, and I would like to get a cell phone for my birthday. I definately want a flip phone, but I don't know which one or which carrier to go with. I live north of Atlanta, Georgia, so keep that in mind.

What phone would be the best for the money, but at the same time be totally pimp, and with what service provider? Keep in mind that deals to get the phone cheap are a definate bonus, because I'll be asking for some expensive stuff and I'm trying to save my parent's money on this for possibly a new video card. :p

Also, please include a good place to buy the phone, whether it be a Cingular store or an online cell phone store.

Well, this might not be the right topic for this section, but my g/f has a Motorola flip phone and she loves it (color display and lots of features). Can't help you with the provider since I'm not in that area.

According to Cingular the Motorola v600 is discontinued, but it's a nice phone and the one that I'm using right now. I never have a problem with reception. The only downside of the v600 is that battery life. I don't think it's worth spending the money on a Motorola Razr. It's basically just a thinner version of the v600 with a nice aluminum case. My provider is AT&T which is now Cingular. You should find out what provider has the best reception in your area.

Personally, I think Nokia is the way to go, but they don't make flip phones.

Look for one that supports IrDa or Bluetooth so you can synch it with your computer. Then you can just dump all your phone numbers into your phone from outlook (or whatever software you use), and also let you save all your numbers onto the computer (so you can put them in your new phone when this one dies). This will also allow you to just dump ringtones onto the phone instead of having to pay your service provider for them. It also lets me pull pictures and video off my phone, because otherwise my service provider charges me $0.50 to mail them to myself. And you can beam your number/address/details to other phones, palm pilots, etc.

NokiaPB.gif

My brother works for motorola and i can recommend most of their phones

I personally have the v300 and i like it a lot. However, to be able to use motorola phones to their full potential, you need to get a phone cable (ebay) and get a hold of mobile phone tools software. Then you can send/recieve pictures and mp3 ringtones for most phones (keep in mind the newer phones have mini usb ports so u dont need the cable)

My brother just got the razr and it is really sweet...but it has a hefty price tag. So if your parents are going to get you the best, then this is a good choice.

But it all depends on which service you go with.

For instance, if you want T-mobile (what i have and i dont really like it) then i would look at the v600 or samsung e315. The v600 has like the same features as the razr except its bigger

Im not too familiar with verizon but motorola just released the v710 for them and i know a few people who have it and are satisfied with it.

Lastly, and probably your best choice would be to go with cingular. They seem to have best reception in our area (im in roswell) largely because it is so popular here. Cingular has similar phones as t-mobile such as the v400 and v551 and samsung e317.

Yeah, I was considering going with Cingular. I'm also particularly fond of Samsung phones. They make some slick flip phones, just what I'm looking for. I'm into the whole chrome, techno flip phone look.

I was looking at the Samsung X427M phone and Cingular's deal where you get 450 rollover minutes, 5000 night and weekend minutes, and you can talk to Cingular or AT&T (not Cingular) customers for free. :p Sounds like a deal to me!

Suggestions? Comments?

That phones okay but its annoying to have to open the phone up just to see whos calling. Plus no pictures or mp3 ringtones...

but it is free with plan so thats good..

Does the T-Mobile "Free Mobile To Mobile" apply to just T-Mobile users, or does it work with any cell phone? I'm thinking of getting the v600 (apparently T-Mobile is the only provider for this phone or something), but I'm a bit weary because it doesn't look like T-Mobile has a very good coverage area such as Cingular.

yea its free tmobile to tmobile and at any given time when i look at my phone and when my friends with cingular look, they have more service bars

Ok:
Basically, what combination of a phone, service provider, and plan would you guys reccomend?

ie: v600 + T-Mobile + $39.99 plan (and please include the features that you recieve with any given plan).

Thanks a ton!

1. T-Mobile has terrible service, particularly in the Atlanta area. Take it from me, I live in the Metro Atlanta area. I'd avoid them at all costs.

2. The v600 was discontinued by Cingular. This is because the phone was plagued with many problems and other quirky issues. I also currently own this phone, so I am well aware of the headaches they can cause.

3. Nonetheless, Cingular remains the best alternative for you. Sprint has some decent phones, but their customer service is absolutely horrible, and I will never go back to them after being a customer for several years. If I were you, I'd go for the v551 with Cingular service. It's nice like the v600, but it has video player capabilities, EDGE technology (faster service), and runs off of Cingular's plentiful network. Furthermore, you can probably get it for less than $200, which makes it an even better buy.

deception``

I went to radio shack and got a plan w/ sprint and 2 sprint phones for 100$ a piece.

I went to COSTCO a couple days later, and guess what? They had the same phone there for 70$ each.

/pwnt

Sprint is a very good carrier for me in So Cal.

deception`` said:
3. Nonetheless, Cingular remains the best alternative for you. Sprint has some decent phones, but their customer service is absolutely horrible, and I will never go back to them after being a customer for several years. If I were you, I'd go for the v551 with Cingular service. It's nice like the v600, but it has video player capabilities, EDGE technology (faster service), and runs off of Cingular's plentiful network. Furthermore, you can probably get it for less than $200, which makes it an even better buy.

deception``

That v551 is a slick phone! :drool: I was just looking at the outside (because that's how it previews the pictures) and I had no idea the inside was so pimp!

This phone looks like it has it all!... Well, except one thing. On the specs, it doesn't list Bluetooth. Does it have it? I mean, I'll survive without it, but having it would definately be an added bonus (because I hate dealing with wires!).

Also, what do you guys think of this plan offered by Cingular?
"Nation 600 Rollover & Unlimited Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes"
$49.99 a month, which isn't bad at all for what you're getting, considering that you get unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile and Cingular has the largest amount of customers of any other carrier.

Suggestions? Comments?

Xiode said:
That v551 is a slick phone! :drool: I was just looking at the outside (because that's how it previews the pictures) and I had no idea the inside was so pimp!

This phone looks like it has it all!... Well, except one thing. On the specs, it doesn't list Bluetooth. Does it have it? I mean, I'll survive without it, but having it would definately be an added bonus (because I hate dealing with wires!).

"Nation 600 Rollover & Unlimited Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes"
$49.99 a month, which isn't bad at all for what you're getting, considering that you get unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile and Cingular has the largest amount of customers of any other carrier.

Suggestions? Comments?

Yeah, the v551 has Bluetooth. My best friend works for Cingular (I get the hook up on everything), and I've even owned this phone. So you'll be all set with the Motorola. :thup:

P.S. - Are you in the metro area? If so, I can refer you to his location.

deception``

No, actually I'm not. I just say I am because it's an easy reference. I'm actually located about an hour north of Atlanta. I live in Dawson County (if you've ever heard of it, most people haven't). It borders the northern part of Forsyth County, which connects to Alpharetta, a.k.a Fulton County. :p

If you could actually understand all of my jibberish... yeah, I live an hour north of Atlanta. :D However, if it isn't too far, I might be able to get my dad to pick it up before or after work one day, because he works down that way.

Xiode said:

That sounds like a good plan... as long as you don't use the phone much during peak hours. Trust me, 600 minutes isn't a lot if you chat a lot during the day (Mon-Fri). Also, make sure it does not include roaming or long distance fees. If a lot of your friends and family also have Cingular, then you will LOVE that unlimited mobile to mobile.

Yep, it includes free long distance and no charge for roaming. :D Sounds pretty good to me!

Now, the only problem is convincing my parents to get it for my birthday. :p

Back