• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Conditioned Case Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuriousGeorge

i first discovered cooling problems when one of the first computers i built would crash periodically, then hang on boot unpredictably. if i left it alone it would start working better. so one day i took the side of my case off and helt it up to my ac.

i not only instantly fixed my hang on boot problem, but succeeded in giving my entire room the loveliest coating of dust with just the right amount of chunkiness

it got me thinking, with some rubber tubing, tin foil, duct tape, and a fan couldnt you rig a great chilled-air case cooling system off your window ac unit? what about just a really cool bong? in the summer you will be using it anyway, no? has anyone heard of someone trying this?

Last edited:
It would not necessarily produce water. The air coming out of an AC or heater is hopefully fairly dry (unless it's an evaporative cooler, but let's not get into that). Condensation will only form if you turn off the AC and let warm, humid air into your case. That usually doesn't happen in most households.

Try holding your case's side panel in front of the AC outlet for a while, to let it get cool. Then stand it up next to your case. See if you notice condensation.

well, it doesn't produce water in my room ;)

maybe ill try it this summer and let you guys know

i still feel like there must be some good reason people arent doing this

Last edited:
It's not very cost efficient. It cost a few bucks to keep it going and not to mention doesn't look very good, and for people who move the computer around, this doesn't help one bit.

And people have done this all the time.

Have you ever put the AC on when it's really hot outside and seen the window fog up and start to drip?... guess what that is? The reason you don't have/see water in your room... because your room is about 70, and the AC is about 60... but when 60 hits 150+ it's not good for business.

Graphicism said:
Have you ever put the AC on when it's really hot outside and seen the window fog up and start to drip?... guess what that is? The reason you don't have/see water in your room... because your room is about 70, and the AC is about 60... but when 60 hits 150+ it's not good for business.

There's no problem for the inside of the computer, since the AC is blowing cold dry air in. Dry because most of the air that goes in the AC unit get's condensed. Water could form on the outside of the case if it's really humid but that's rather unlikely.

Last edited:
You could also try using a Dehumidifier in your room too, just to help cut down on the possibilities.

Doesnt condensation only form on objects colder than the air around them? If so, condensation forms in your window because it is colder than the air around it. Now, how could your pc be colder than the AC? It stands to reason that it would be safe.

Yuriman said:
Doesnt condensation only form on objects colder than the air around them? If so, condensation forms in your window because it is colder than the air around it. Now, how could your pc be colder than the AC? It stands to reason that it would be safe.

That's correct. If you live in a really humid region there is a possibility that some water can form on the case. I'm talking about 90% humidity.

When warm air cools it falls, and the warmer the air the more moisture it will retain, so when it comes in contact with the colder AC air which is subsequently colder, moisture is released in the form of condensations.

Go ahead, be the first to try it... it will rank with the guy who put his CPU in a fridge and fried it.

Graphicism said:
When warm air cools it falls, and the warmer the air the more moisture it will retain, so when it comes in contact with the colder AC air which is subsequently colder, moisture is released in the form of condensations.

Go ahead, be the first to try it... it will rank with the guy who put his CPU in a fridge and fried it.

WTH? You're gonna need a lot of warm air with high moisture content, and mix it with extremely cold air that's dry. When you get that to happen you'll have a nice little rain cloud in your computer.

Realistically that's never gonna happen. 1 AC units don't get that cold. They shut off at about 10 degrees Celcius. 2 I doubt anyone's house is like rain forest.

lol... then answer this. 1. why doesn't anyone do it? 2. why wouldn't someone save them selves a $1000 and duct the AC in to there case?

Hey, are you blind? Look a couple of posts up.

To answer question two, who leaves their AC on permanently? This method will work for very few people because of that. Plus it looks ugly. Putting a box fan on the side of an open case is extremely good for cooling too. Why doesn't everyone do it? It's loud and ugly.

Oh yeah, the only time I get condensation is on the glass of a cold beverage in the summertime. That is O degrees celsius, colder than the air-conditioned air. Also the air is still around the glass, not like the moving air in the case. How is warm moist air going to enter the case if cold air is being pumped through it anyway?

You must live in the jungle if your windows fog up when you turn on the AC, or the windows must be pretty rudimentary.

Last edited:
I know your speaking with inexperience so I won't be too harsh, but I just can't let it go...

Quailane said:
who leaves their AC on permanently?.
- No one does, know why? because it gets to a certain set temp and shuts off until it heats up again, would be the same principle with the case.

Quailane said:
Oh yeah, the only time I get condensation is on the glass of a cold beverage in the summertime. That is O degrees celsius, colder than the air-conditioned air.
- The air coming out of the AC is NOT a mild 70 degree or whatever you have it set too, it is around freezing, thus cooling the room quicker, AC units freeze up all the time due to this... and frost is.. well, you should know.

Quailane said:
How is warm moist air going to enter the case if cold air is being pumped through it anyway?
- I'm sorry but this was pretty stupid... the heat the processor etc gives off is more than enough heat to cause a problem here.

Quailane said:
You must live in the jungle if your windows fog up when you turn on the AC, or the windows must be pretty rudimentary.
- I live in Florida, you may of heard of it... hot outside, cool inside.

I can understand your experience in Florida. Every time I go there its more humid than anywhere else I've been. I've alsot been to San Francisco where it can be 110 degrees and dry as hell. I NEVER saw frost in an airconditioned house in SF.

I don't doubt what you're saying but you can't say your reason happens 100% of the time. Conditions have to be met in order for moisture to come out. That includes air pressure and temperature. Both of those will affect how water vaporizes or condenses. And geographical location is a big contributor. What happens in the South may not happen in the North. What happens in the Southwest may not happen in the Southeast.

Yes this is a very good cooling method, no condensation either, sears has a pretty good rated ac unit for around 60-70 bucks!

A/C cooling will work as long as the air is dry enough. In order to condensation occur, some conditions are required.

Firstly, I would like to clarify exactly what is condensation. Air is a mixture of many gases, mainly nitrogen and oxygen. But there are other things in too, including H2O(g). And from these three gases, H2O is the one with the lowest condensation point (I'm just simplifying things here desconsiderating other components of the air). Therefore, in contact with a sufficiently cold surface, H2O will be one of the first substances to condensate. That is exactly what condensation is: H2O(g) colded into water. Visible fog is condensation too and is simply many very little liquid water spreaded in the air. Remember: gases form an homogen mixture, thus when you put two gases together you'll not be able to distinguish them.

Besides this long explanation, it's perfectly possible to have sufficiently low condensation (I mean, lower enough so you can cool you PC with it) using A/C cooling. In fact, the humidity of the air from the A/C is quite low, because in order to cold the air a bunch of water already condensates in there. However, it's not that low so we can exclude the possibility of condensation. In places where the humidity is very high (like here in Brazil), the A/C may not extract sufficient H2O from the air, thus there's still enough water to condensate and this may lead to problems with eletronic equipment. If you see condensation occur in the plastic grid of the A/C, then you may have a big problem with your computer. A test that you could do is that one Restorer said. However, it's recommendable you do it in summer, when the humidity is higher.

Another point is that we do liberate a lot of water into the air. You can see that when is a very cold day and you see fog when you breath. Thus, whatever you do to make outside air to not come without passing though the AC, the room humidity will always be higher than the air that gets out from the conditioner. Because these equipments are configured to stop at a certain temperature, there will be inevitably room air entering into the case. You must me aware of that, too. A better test in this case would be leave the metal board getting cold air from the AC from one side, and monitor the another for about 2 or 3 hours, and trying to simulate the air flow that happens in the case. Then you'll be able to see if water condensates. If it does, no way. And one more thing: condensation is obvioulsy inevitable if the airflow is zero and the surface is colder than the air. Low temps of the surface are a necessary condition - not a suficient one.

I hope that this post clarifies things to you.

Firer

Back