• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modem sounds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
I have never had the privilege to use a phone modem in XP, but that time has come. I don’t like how the sounds are (minus using it).
What I would like to do is change the (connecting) signal sounds it puts out. Maybe a nifty tune. Instead of the normal analog tones. Currently I have it set on silent, but would like a cue what it is doing.
Is there a way to change the tones it produces, or make a system beep after connecting? I don’t always have the speakers on. A windows sound file is helpful but not as desirable. Any input is appreciated.

The sounds you are hearing are the actual connection negotiations between your modem and the remote modem, in that sense you don't want to change the sounds or you won't get a connection. However I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to arrange a system sound when the connection is made, though at the moment I cannot think how that might be achieved. You could try searching tucows or an equivalent shareware site for a third party connection warning/confirmation program.

regards,

Road Warrior

Honestly, is the sound really that bad as you need to put the analog tones on silent? I mean, I always liked the analog because you can hear everything that is going on, not to mention, it should only last about 10-15s at most. I used to have nothing, but 56K, for every year from the release date to about a year ago, since '94. The tone really isn't that bad, but like Warrior said, it's your computer, I just don't know right off hand how you would change the analog sound to something enjoyable.

Thank you for the reply,
What I was hoping to accomplish, was not to change the Tx/Rx tone, but more like on older motherboards that had overheat sensors triggers. When an event would trigger, a tune would sound, i.e.- I had really old 200Mhz that would play a system alert in the tune of the nutcracker. Or even like Thunderbird mail client gives me event notice through my system speaker. I am off on a hunt now. I was unsure 'wether to put this in Xmod or this category.
Thank you for the help. :D

You can turn off the tones in the Modems section of the Windows Control Panel.

I got the modem silent already, but a "ring tone" quirkyness to it would be so geeky. :thup:
Hearing the Tx/Rx is soothing to me.. My other half is driven nuts by it and our cats bite me when I dial out. So it has to non-Tx/Rx tones. Plus when I recieve a fax, I would like the modem to notify me (call waiting), but that is part two of my project. If I can figure out this part, the rest will be gravy for me.

Enablingwolf said:
Thank you for the reply,
What I was hoping to accomplish, was not to change the Tx/Rx tone, but more like on older motherboards that had overheat sensors triggers. When an event would trigger, a tune would sound, i.e.- I had really old 200Mhz that would play a system alert in the tune of the nutcracker. Or even like Thunderbird mail client gives me event notice through my system speaker. I am off on a hunt now. I was unsure 'wether to put this in Xmod or this category.
Thank you for the help. :D

In that case, you can change this by Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds. I think you're look for "Device Connect" or something of that nature, which is in the list in XP.

Kommercial said:
In that case, you can change this by Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds. I think you're look for "Device Connect" or something of that nature, which is in the list in XP.

I thought of that, but I don't always turn on the sound system. I would pefer my hardware to use the system speaker. Thunderbird does that for me, if there is no associated windows event sound.

Enablingwolf said:
I thought of that, but I don't always turn on the sound system. I would pefer my hardware to use the system speaker. Thunderbird does that for me, if there is no associated windows event sound.

So, you want to hear the sound through the modem speaker? Man, this is confusing! :beer:

As far as I know, the modem coming through the speakers has to do with the software you installed, along with the modem driver, when the modem was first installed. I used to have a Motorola Data/Fax modem, that installed some software which made the sound come through the speakers. After awhile, I decided to try out "msconfig" and I decided to turn the program off at startup, which solved the problem.

I want the system speaker to be used, not the modem or the sound card.
Thats why I am asking here, I have yet to get any hits on google. I am unsure of my search terms, so I am going along as I can think of search terms. Hoping someone has done this before.

Enablingwolf said:
I want the system speaker to be used, not the modem or the sound card.
Thats why I am asking here, I have yet to get any hits on google. I am unsure of my search terms, so I am going along as I can think of search terms. Hoping someone has done this before.

Well, that can't be done. Your speaker system hooks into your sound card, which needs to be used if you're using your speakers. You can turn off the modem speaker through Start > Settings > Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options.

So, you can turn off the modem speaker, but not the sound card.

Back