• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting small HD inside a mouse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I have a tiny 1" USB hard drive that I got cheap because the case was smashed (why did it have to look like hockey puck??? :p :mad:) and it is very small.

Since it still works, I've thought about tucking it someplace and still be easy to remove for transfer to different computer and I thought of my USB mouse. It has lots of empty space.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a really small 2 ports USB 2.0 hub that I can squeeze into the mouse along with the hard drive? I can't just share the USB cable with both mouse and hard drive as that'd lead to conflicts. Since the hard drive requires 500mA, I'd have to use an externally powered USB hub and I thought of piggybacking the extra current on +5v line to the mouse and then tapping that to the USB power. I'll probably have to replace the mouse stock cable with one that is USB 2.0 certified for reliable performance.

Theorically it should work. Worse case scenario: I have a blown 2 ports USB hub, mouse, and hard drive and maybe the main USB hub connected to my computer. :D

The hard drive itself is probabbly the same as those used in Compact Flash II Microdrive with the extra board for USB. I'll probably tie the hard drive's activity light to the mouse's lighted scroll wheel.

Look for usb hubs made for notebook use. These are really small, most of the size is the connectors. When they are removed it should fit easily.

As for power, you'll probably be able to run both your mose and the HD from one 500ma port. There is always some headroom, and the power requirements are "worst case scenario" things. And as far as i remember, the USB spec says something about how the usb port should react to stuff drawing too much power, which is to power down that device. So a very small chance of actually blowing anything, just that it might not work..

I would say that to connect your USB HD to the mouse you would need a hub of some sort, since most USB are really cheap and there are some really small 2 & 4 port models, you may be able to strip the works from the hub to put inside your usb mouse along with your HD. A little bit of work should get a really functional and different mouse.

Back