• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

for some reason even with this new hsf installed im still not getting the temps i want when overclocking. i am running a p4 2.8c on a abit ic7-g max2 advance with a sp94 with a tornado fan installed. the cpu is set at 3.2ghz + vcore 1.6 and on idle it runs at 40c and on full load it can run anywhere from 52-54c. now this isnt a major oc so im wondering why the temp is so high. these temps are almost identical to the ones i had with the zalman hsf. i keep the tornado fan at 4v because of the noise factor but i could try turning it up.

Those are OK temps. My 2.6C @ 3.25 in my old IC7 ran about 55C load with an SLK-947U & SFII combo. Remember, compared to other brands, Abit boards read temps as being higher. You are fine. Just keep under 60-65C. The 4v tornado is most likely the problem. Run it at least at 7v.

Your fine... I ran a 2.4C with the same board for a year at 67C load... The abit board reads the on-die temp sensor, not the socket, so it is always hotter and more accurately reflects temps...

ok now ive got the best oc yet but is this is far as i can take it?

p4 [email protected] - 1.75v

if im not mistaken i think that is the maximum voltage that is safe to use for northwood chips. my temps are actually about the same as they were around the 3.2ghz mark which is great. i wanted to top out at around 3.6ghz and im running 1:1 on corsair pc3200 ram which amazes me. any pointers would be gravy and thanx again for the help.

agentbad

Personally, I would not exceed 1.65v for long term.

The SP-94 is a great heatsink, but it needs more air flowing through it than a Tornado fan running at 4v.

I'd like to see 250 FSB using the 1:1 ratio with Corsair PC3200. Mind posting a CPU-Z screenie?

here are the pics

cpuzshot0fu.jpg

cpuzmemory0yn.jpg

so running at 1.75v is not safe for the processor huh. what about the automatic shut off on my ic7-g just in case it gets too hot. how would it fry if it wasn't able to get that hot? gave the model for the ram just in case anyone is curious.

corsair twinx1024-3200ct "xms3202v4.1"

also one of my motivations for pushing my oc so far is the studdering i get in cs:s. i have a 9700pro aiw and with this current configuration i generally get 80-100 fps on average. this makes everything a lot smoother and really gives me advantage i think. i can get similiar results taking it down to around 3.4ghz.

since this is a pretty weak oc as far as speed and voltage wize where should i go from here? i was considering either buying a new cpu or buying one off a forum that i know will oc well. also whats the best place to buy p4s just by stepping? also they don't sell northwoods anymore so am stuck with just prescotts?

Last edited:
Back