• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passwording folders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Ok a folders which i want to share with my laptop from my main computer but i dont want anybody else to be able to access these files
Both computers have XP home, is there a way that i can like password the folder or use a 3rd party program to do this?

thanks

In XP this is done with NTFS permissions...the password protection of a folder or file is provided by the file attributes and user rights set on specific objects.

You can however set up a compressed folder with password protection (by either right clicking on the desktop and selecting New-->Compressed Folder, or (My Computer | File menu | New | Compressed Folder)...you can then open the compressed folder that you want to password protect. On the File menu, click "Add a Password" | In the "Password" box, type the password that you want to use | Type the same password in the "Confirm Password" box, and then click OK.

There's a program called Folder Guard which I believe you can use to actually password protect a folder in XP. You can find it here...

http://www.winability.com/folderguard

If you'd like to learn more about file/folder permissions in XP Home/Pro, I've included a link to a MSKB article which describes permissions in detail...

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP

The two reference links at the bottom of the page are also very helpful regarding permissions and password-protection.

Since you're running XP Home, you can get around the "Simple File Sharing" issue by booting up in Safe Mode (use NTFS permissions to restrict access to a folder). Otherwise, if you don't mind using text interface commands, you can use the cacls.exe command line tool (located in ...%Systemroot%\System32) in normal mode to modify the permissions.

hmm ncie ideas, but it they didnt help my situation...
im not worried about being accessed on THIS Computer, its that i wanna share them over my NETWORK WITH A PASSWORD.

any other ideas?

thanks

iv searched around and i cant find anything...
is it even possible to password folders over a network ? it Must be !?

Back