• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To changing cooler on cpu..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saidiwas

Registered
To change cooler on cpu..

Is it hard to remove the existing cooler on a cpu?
I would like to change my existing one for a more quiet one.

I mean you have this coolingpaste aso, is it like glue?

Last edited:
No the cooling paste is not like glue, it is a thick liquid but is not sticky. It just helps transfer heat.

Depending on what cooler is installed now, some are harder than others. If you use a screw driver and are careful though, I think its fairly easy - it does involve a little force though so it may make you uncomfortable the first time you do it. You must be careful when doing this - if you slip and your screw driver goes into the mobo, you can damage the electrical traces very easily.

You can either just get a new fan for your heatsink, depending on what kind of heatsink you have now, or you can get a new heatsink and fan.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Usually it's not too hard - on my GPU (9700 Pro) it was next to impossible to get the HSF off. It was stuck on there TIGHT. However, on my 9800 Pro it didn's stick at all.

I.M.O.G. said:
if you slip and your screw driver goes into the mobo, you can damage the electrical traces very easily.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
Hehe Ive done that once or twice and I cringe each time, thankfully nothing has broken yet... I second the welcome

Back