• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron (Northwood) 2.0g OC possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThaNo0b

Registered
Hey folks.. By the name you can see I'm a no0b at OCing... I have a Celeron 2gig and need help ocing it... My mobo is a POS and has no option to change the voltage.. Dunno what that does anyway.. So I OC'd thru FSB... Now the problem is how far can I take it and be stable.. Cause I am most worried about my HDD and the upped bus speed causing data errors on my HDD... Please Help!!

22.gif
Here is what I have it at now... See the Voltage... it's low... Dunno how to change that...

Unless you have a way to lock the AGP/PCI, then you aren't going to get much of an overclock anyway. What motherboard do you have?

I have one running at 3ghz on stock voltage and the cooling that comes with a Shuttle XPC. Been up for over 15days folding non stop.

You should at a minium be able to hit 133fsb. Set it there, and see how it goes, take it slowly from there.

Good idea fishy. If you can hit 133 FSB, then your AGP/PCI will be back in spec. Looks like that mobo undervolts though. That might cause stability problems.

Yea I tried 133.. But the comp either locks up or just restarts... I actually got it to 2.4 once and it held for about an hour... Then when I restarted it all went to hell... My HDD had massive data errors and XP ate itself up... I reinstalled and it's fine now.. I have a craptastic M930LR btw. ECS made it. It's got the sis645 chipset.

Also the voltage just displays in BIOS I have no option to change it.. I saw the voltage pin post and I'm interested unless it has high risk of frying my CPU and/or Mobo..

Well, I originally wrote the P-4 VID pin wrapping part of that sticky. Your default vcore should be 1.525v. If so, the least amount you can mod the vcore is 1.725v (by connecting VID3 and VID4). We now know that running voltage above about 1.65v to 1.7v is too high for long term usage. But... you do seem to be undervolting a lot. If default is 1.525v and you are actually seeing 1.456v, then maybe 1.725v will actually undervolt to maybe around 1.66v. If you want to take the risks and try this, then connect VID3 and VID4 pins... but you better have good cooling first.

That mod doesn't overclock the CPU, it overvolts the CPU. The extra voltage can help get you stable at higher speeds, such as 133FSB (ie 2.66ghz) :)

Albuquerque is absolutely correct. Extra voltage will "sometimes" help stabilize a system at a higher O/C. For example, my 3.0C will do about 3.6 gig stable with default voltage, but if I go higher it will lockup, freeze, or crash. However, if I bump the vcore up to 1.6v then it will do 3.8 gig stable. Caution: raising voltages will raise temps. Overvolting too much, especially combined with high temps could result in damage to your processor over time..

Cool, but still have the OC bus prob.. When I set it to 133mhz it simply shuts the comp down.. Bios has an option for 133mhz but when I do it the comp either boots and gives me HDD errors or just reboots to 100mhz.....

23.gif

Top is my current settings. Bottom is at 133mhz.. But the PCI and AGP are OC also... Is their a way to lock them at normal settings? Some kinda software prog?

Eww... Your board only supported 100FSB chips, so it was never intended to be used at these speeds. Hence, you have no AGP/PCI divider for 133FSB. Not only that, but the M930LR motherboard is almost at the bargain basement bottom of the barrel for P4 motherboards -- it even came with PC133 memory slots :eek: :eek: :(

Sorry to say this dude, but I think you're just completely out of luck with that board.

It'll hold at 2.2 till I get my AMD 64 FX 55 I've been saving for.. LOL...

Back