• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 pin power connector (what is it)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The small square one is used to provide an exyta 12v line to the board. I have dual XPs and my board uses the extra 4-pin connector.

Ok thanks for such a quick reply does this mean more wattage is used from my psu beacuse its got both connectors on the new board that im going too buy!

blackmage,

Overall wattage used by your system will be the same. 4-pin connector is designed to provide a seperate power source for your CPU. It helps smooth out some of the fluctuations in the supply to the CPU helping with stability.

20 pin connector provides power to the mobo and peripherials while the 4 pin powers the CPU...HOWEVER.....system CAN run without 4 pin connected...just not very stable.

Confused yet???
CoachB

CoachB22 said:
blackmage,

Overall wattage used by your system will be the same. 4-pin connector is designed to provide a seperate power source for your CPU. It helps smooth out some of the fluctuations in the supply to the CPU helping with stability.

20 pin connector provides power to the mobo and peripherials while the 4 pin powers the CPU...HOWEVER.....system CAN run without 4 pin connected...just not very stable.

Confused yet???
CoachB

while what he said is true you can run without the 4 pin, it will be more than just unstable. If you run it for to long you have a chance to killing the cpu and motherboard. So all in all dont use the comp without it :p

If the board doesnt have a square 4-pin socket for it, don't worry. If you need it there will be a socket for it.

CoachB22 said:
blackmage,

Confused yet???
CoachB

I left the connector off by accident on a Asus p4p800 - Wouldn't post or anything.

Back