• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a Dell case work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Unreal89

My friend wants me to upgrade his PC, he has an old dell (its a 1.2Ghz, and was top of the line back then) from 2001, I think. Basically... will it hold an ATX mobo? Also will the PSU (I don't know wat kind I can prolly check tom) in it work? It will have an a64 3000+, GigaByte GA-K8NS-939, 2x512mb value ram, a 9600xt, and a 40gb sata HDD. He will not OC, since he is not a hardcore gamer.

P.S. Will an ATX psu fit in the place of the dell one.

Again, sorry if i dont know the model number or the psu wattage. I will find out tomorrow.

Thanks

The Dell cases are proprietary and will not work with an ATX motherboard. The motherboards on the 8100 and up models are a cross between ATX and MATX. They have proprietary mounting and front panel connections. The older cases up to the 4100 series will hold some ATX boards but the front panel on the case and the powersupply are proprietary. Unless your up for a challenge buy a new case. This is an older XPS with an Albatron 845 motherboard.
Image2.jpg

darn, I really didn't want to buy a case cause 1) shipping cost alot and 2) I'll go over his budget of $550. Any one know of a case with a 350w or 300w psu that has free shipping at newegg? Oh ya... it HAS to be black.. he wants it to match his monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.. thnx alot

bestbuy has an antec SLK2650 case with 350 watt power supply $39.99AR. good deal, especially since it comes with the antec 350w psu.

Actually, everything after the 8100 and 2200 are standard ATX as far as the board and power supply goes. Front panel connector still isn't, though. But then, there IS no standard for that anyways

I don't know where you got that Dells use passive cooling, but they most assuredly do not.

Back