• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a suggestion.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SatanSkin

Maybe doing something with the folding website would help us attract more users......I mean, there hasn't really been **** changed since February of 2004! Almost a year guys, what the hell? HardOCP has an up to date site as I would bet so does OCAU and the others. When I first started, I was partly drawn in and influenced by the website that, at the time, was up to date and great. What happened? Just a suggestion though....

Couldn't agree more as I went to it for the 1st time in awhile and couldnt even look @ my stat's on our own folding@home webpage.

Yep that's pretty bad it's got my folding @home stat's off by something link 350 rank's and many K's in point's.

Uhhhh....looks like you had plenty of people there preaching support and not **** got done anyways.....so what happened with that? And I don't have the time or skills to have helped out with fixing the site anyways. I was just saying that people are trying to recruit and get serious about this, yet they are missing a key factor that all the others have, and that's an up to date (or even working) website.

well then, pm mdcomp and ask him what stickies need updating, and do that. Or get the updated info for the website, give it to me, and I'll try to contact the people that are fixing the website.

SatanSkin said:
And I don't have the time or skills to have helped out with fixing the site anyways.
Exactly, you've answered your own question. I know nothing about webpages and graphics but I would think it is alot more time consuming than just building a comp and running it. I would think the number of people willing to keep something like that up and running(for free) are few and far between.

Well guys, here's the deal, you can't really complain if you aren't willing to help out. Like I said, I think the bulk of the work is actually getting the correct information, so that it can be reposted on there. Your HTML skills really have nothing to do with it. I'm gonna try to get this restarted but its hard to contact the people. I'll pm Ploaf again and see what I can get going with this site.

Can you gather the info you want posted first and then worry about contacting the people for the website. I mean if no one comes to you with info to be posted then you need not bother ploaf and the others correct?

While I do not have tons of html experience, i do have quite a bit of programming experience, mostly vb. I would be willing to help get things rolling to update the site.

Honestly, I don't think the dedicated team page is worth the necessary effort... It is time consuming to run, there are many many sites with excellent stat pages, so I just don't see much reason to reinvent the wheel. Our team centers around this forum really, and perhaps it is best for everyone to concentrate their efforts here.

It seems like the team page is just too much effort, for too little return - what is wrong with our frontpage and our forums? They are where our members already are, and I do not see the point in trying to funnel everyone to another completely different location.

Just my thoughts on the subject... Perhaps efforts could be better expended elsewhere, like in writing more updates for the frontpage (david's articles have done GREAT), and helping to organize or contribute to contests. :eh?:

Not criticizing anyone or anything, and I like the suggestions, but I just wanted to suggest that perhaps we re-evaluate what our goal is, and how best we could serve that goal. :) If there are those who would enjoy updating the website and getting it up to presentable fashion, that is great, but I don't think anyone should undertake it if it is simply a chore.

I personally know a lot of people that would be folding, that gave up because I directed them to our page, and they said the hell with it, because the links were dead and so on. I think it is an essential part of the team. This is the third thread in 3 months that has come up with this, and nothing has happened. I think that says something. yes Davids efforts are great. But what happens once the novelty wears off, after the contests end, and then what. You lose memembers.

even if we just update the links. and make sure there is a link to the one-clicks, and maybe post a news headline. then just ditch everything else ;)

Heh, then why did you direct them to an old outdated page though - just direct them to the pages that are most simple to keep up to date... We have the easy one click install guide here, and we have introduction letters on the frontpage that David freshly composed... I think the team page adds unnecessary complexity for new members, making it appear that they need to register there to become part of the team. Notice that my advice wasn't to send them to an old out dated page - its no surpise this turns people away; we should direct people to the good resources we already have.

We have better member retention than other teams and better dedication, and our team page has been out of date for a long time. I guess I am just not convinced that the team page does a better job than this folding team forum and the frontpage does. I don't think anything we do on the team page can get 15 members a day signing up like the frontpage articles.

IMO, we need to better utilize the resources we have right at our fingertips - this forum and the frontpage. If someone with the motivation and skill set to maintain the team page steps up to the plate, that would be great, but I think the fact that this topic has been coming up regularly every month since I can remember definetly says something - that there is no one who is capabile or anxious to take on this role reliably. People are very busy, and it is a lot of work - I don't have the time or knowledge to do a good job of it myself.

When you find new people right now, you should send them to this folding forum or the frontpage articles for now... Hopefully the team page can be updated and then become useful in the future. I don't really know though, can't see what that page has to offer current team members or in the way of recruiting new members... I think interest in it died out naturally because it was ineffective, and perhaps is best left that way.

Anyways though, thats just my opinion, and I only want whats best for the team... If people are motivated to revamp it and give the site another go, I'm all for it. If that is not the case, then it should just be left as a part of our team history.

I.M.O.G. said:
Honestly, I don't think the dedicated team page is worth the necessary effort... It is time consuming to run, there are many many sites with excellent stat pages, so I just don't see much reason to reinvent the wheel. Our team centers around this forum really, and perhaps it is best for everyone to concentrate their efforts here.

It seems like the team page is just too much effort, for too little return - what is wrong with our frontpage and our forums? They are where our members already are, and I do not see the point in trying to funnel everyone to another completely different location.

Just my thoughts on the subject... Perhaps efforts could be better expended elsewhere, like in writing more updates for the frontpage (david's articles have done GREAT), and helping to organize or contribute to contests. :eh?:

Not criticizing anyone or anything, and I like the suggestions, but I just wanted to suggest that perhaps we re-evaluate what our goal is, and how best we could serve that goal. :) If there are those who would enjoy updating the website and getting it up to presentable fashion, that is great, but I don't think anyone should undertake it if it is simply a chore.

From just joining the team and what i have seen so far, i would say that the unless someone who has the time, and the drive to maintain the folding page, then it very well could be easier and more productive to expand the presence of the folding community here, at least for the current users. But, if the team continues to grow, i think that new users would find it easier to stay with the team if they had a more central site to go to, vs a just a forum.

Just my .02, take it or leave it :).

Cool, thanks for the input.

Apologies if I sound like a royal ***, was not my intention, though I do mean what I said... Just not any negative tone that may accompany it. Long days at work lately, I'm sure my folding buds will understand. :beer:

I like the direction that Helsyeah and IMOG are going. It has been proven many times in the past that we can't really keep up with the site; one person volunteers which works for a few months and then has to quit, nobody takes over, the process starts again. I think we could do a site revamp just to make it look a little nicer and have some more general info, basically a site that doesn't need to be updated every day or week. Just an informational page would work.

I'd say we should just focus all our energy on boring and getting new members, thats what is really most important anyways. Good luck with whatever you guys decide!
:)

Matt

Back