• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software to forceably delete a file?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechWizard

I have this problem with a program that didnt download all the way and it says its always in use by another program. I have used MSConfig to disable everything possible and I restarted and attemped to remove the file then but it still said it was in use. Iv heard of programs that are able to remove files like this from a friend, I search google and was totally confused on what I was looking at. If anybody has any ideas or information on how to remove this file It would be appreciated. I have scanned my system for virsues and spyware and it's not that. Im totally baffeled that I cant remove this file :confused: ...
The file is a executable on top of it, I was downloading an install patch for Warhammer 40k when my cable modem restart randomly. I hope I'v left enough information for somebody to help... Thanks in advance.

Oh btw Im running on Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 Intagrated (Yes I know SP2 Sucks)

Close all open programs, and click Start | Run | Type taskmgr.exe and click OK. Leave Task Manager open, and click Start | Run | Type cmd and click OK. Leave the Command Prompt window open, go to Task Manager and click the "Processes" tab; "End Process" on "Explorer.exe". Go to the Command Prompt window and navigate to the file that you'd like to delete, and enter del <filename>. Go back to Task Manager | Click "File" | New-->Task | Enter explorer.exe to restart the GUI.

The following MSKB article may also be of some help to you...

You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder

Im having problems having the Cmd Prompt delete the file. The file has spaces in the name and when I type "del DoW Path 1.2" It says the file does not exist. I have tried using underscores and it also does not work. Any suggestions?

If you want to get into it, and perhaps have some fun? Download the dependency walker at this site and load that file into it and trace down what is attached to that file. Sometimes this is an easy thing to trace with suprising results.

Edit Just read your other post, about it not being found, you may have sucessfully deleted that file and just need a reboot.

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Ok, new problem. Probably why I cant delete it is the file is 0kb. But the icon for an .exe file is still there.. o_0 this is so odd. Any thing else to try besides smash my hard drive?

EDIT: I have restarted many many times too.

Sorry, but I dont see if you booted into safe mode and tried to delete it? Also you could boot into your Xp CD and get into the recovery console(RC) and navagate to and delete it from there. If you need help and instructions for the RC, post back.

I'll attempt safe mode... if that fails I might be able to make my other drive my boot device and delete from there.

I was unable to delete it in safe mode, how would I check the security settings?

you could try and download this and use it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/delrp-o.asp

It will extract to C:\Program Files\Resource Kit

The best thing to do is to copy it to the directory that the bad file exists and get the cmd line and navagate to that directory and run: delrp badfile.exe

Of course "badfile.exe" is the name of that file

Check the security, try rclick on the badfile and properties and the security tab

Well not only do I have the one file as a problem anymore but a second. This is raither irrating. The reason I cannot delete them in DOS is beacuse they have spaces in the file name and DOS cannot reconize them. I have attempted to rename them but that fails also.. (Though DOS). I think the only way I have left is though the recovery console :/

Well I probably did this the stupid way but these files got me so pissed off (They were on my desktop :mad: ) I just moved all my shortcuts and files from my desktop into a seperate folder moved that into my second drive and went into dos and typed "del desktop" and pressed the Y button and pressed enter. Problem solved. Thanks for all your suggestions wish they would of helped... I didn't want to have to resoart to deleting my desktop, but that is easlily fixable sence I'm smart enough to back up my files =P. Once again thanks.

It seems that I am too late, but the way I always get rid of those files is booting off of my friend's winxp boot cd. Its sorta a hacked linux thing that allows you to go into a ntfs drive and delete anything. (through the console)

Z3l20 said:
Im having problems having the Cmd Prompt delete the file. The file has spaces in the name and when I type "del DoW Path 1.2" It says the file does not exist. I have tried using underscores and it also does not work. Any suggestions?

use:

del "Dow Path 1.2*.*"

Or did you mean that you used quotations??

Ah I didnt think about quotations, Ill have to try that next time this happens... Hopefully it won't happen again but I doubt that it won't. That was just a type-o too... I should of tried del "DoW Patch 1.2.exe" .... But like I said I went around it the stupid way and just saved what I needed off my desktop and deleted the whole desktop where the files were located. And of corse windows just automatically remade a new desktop folder and I was able to place all my files back. No harm done and again thanks.

Back