• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best a64 Overclocker vs XP-M 2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3200 winchester like mentioned above !! but i would say hold on patiently for the new DFI nforce 4 boards .. :drool:

Easily he's using the 5/6th divider. IOW 166memclocklock. I have to use the same lock on mine since my ram won't do 262Mhz@1t. I end up at 262x10 w/ memory running at 218Mhz or 83.3% of HT. There's no big hit to the A64 for running memory async with HT as there was on the XP.

TimoneX said:
Easily he's using the 5/6th divider. IOW 166memclocklock. I have to use the same lock on mine since my ram won't do 262Mhz@1t. I end up at 262x10 w/ memory running at 218Mhz or 83.3% of HT. There's no big hit to the A64 for running memory async with HT as there was on the XP.

:D

{pdX}Canadatron said:
I've got a 2500 Mobile and am wanting to get into a decent overclockable A64 system...what should I be looking for? I'm not too familiar with the 64.

I am in the process of doing the same upgrade right now. I am going from my mobile-2400 to A64 3200+ winny. The stuff is in the mail and should be here this weekend. Keep your eye on the forums to check the results.

kouch said:
I am in the process of doing the same upgrade right now. I am going from my mobile-2400 to A64 3200+ winny. The stuff is in the mail and should be here this weekend. Keep your eye on the forums to check the results.

Im in the same situation and will post back when I get some results

CordialSpam said:
MSI K8N + 3200+ Winchester.
I'd avoid MSI K8N neo2. Mine has been giving me fits lately. Look at Abit's AV8 or Asus A8V

Btw... here is a score comparison for ya:

fumarkcomparison.jpg

sent. is your board an older 1??Or are there different revisions?The 1 I ordered hopefully Is from new stock seeing it had to be ordered from the company,so maybe Im getting a newer revision??what do u think?

I think Sen got a bad apple. Mine is only a few weeks old and it's been very well behaved and believe me I've been doing ALOT of stress testing. The great majority of Neo2 owners seem to be quite happy with their purchase.

ETUKE said:
sent. is your board an older 1??Or are there different revisions?The 1 I ordered hopefully Is from new stock seeing it had to be ordered from the company,so maybe Im getting a newer revision??what do u think?
Yea. Im generally considered the ghineua pig of the forums. I test out the newest stuff and push it to the brink. This setup is very old. I got this back in mid October.

TimoneX said:
I think Sen got a bad apple. Mine is only a few weeks old and it's been very well behaved and believe me I've been doing ALOT of stress testing. The great majority of Neo2 owners seem to be quite happy with their purchase.
Most likely. I tend to have horrible luck with things. Its all good, as soon as VIA's AGP/PCI-E hybrid is out this board is getting ebayed

The 754 overclocks better but if you are going to the A64 from XP Barton, you should go NF4. Right now the NF4 is only for 939. The make NF4 for 754 too but those won't be comming out for a while. The only mobo that I heard about 754 NF4 so far is the Epox.

Best 939 for OC for 939 are the Winchesters. I only would get the 3200 just because the Winchester 3500 is too expensive. But if you can find a good price for the 3500 (Winchester or Newcastle). The 3500 would be better becaue of the 11X Multi. You can keep your ram timings tight and get higher speed without increasing the FSB very high. This will keep your system more stable. Even with TCCD rams, it's hard to get very stable over 270 FSB. You might beable to run OK but will will have problem with a few programs.

The 3200 only has 10X Multi. I would recoomend going with a 11X multi if you can. The 3500 Winchester or Newcastle. They both overclock very well. Don't choose the Winchester 3000 with 9X multi. All the upper multis are lock on all A64 except the FX-55 (from what I've heard).

Also keep in mind that if you are going 939, you'll need 4 stick of RAM if you want to utilize the double memory channel. From what I heard this will limmit your FSB overclocking (2 sticks will let you overclock better FSB but no double channel). Another reason to get the 3500.

Sentential said:
Yea. Im generally considered the ghineua pig of the forums. I test out the newest stuff and push it to the brink. This setup is very old. I got this back in mid October.

Most likely. I tend to have horrible luck with things. Its all good, as soon as VIA's AGP/PCI-E hybrid is out this board is getting ebayed

Seems like you did here bro and I'm sorry for that. I wouldn't be very happy either and probably wouldn't handle it as well as you have.

<<Spider>> said:
Also keep in mind that if you are going 939, you'll need 4 stick of RAM if you want to utilize the double memory channel. From what I heard this will limmit your FSB overclocking (2 sticks will let you overclock better FSB but no double channel). Another reason to get the 3500.

This is patently false. Do not get 4 sticks of ram or you will be limited to lower ram speeds &/or timings. 512x2 is the most oft recommended setup, though 256x2 will get you by if you don't run alot of memory hungry apps. 64bit memory modules...128bit controller. The math is fairly simple. 512x2 is dual channel 1GB goodness.

This is patently false. Do not get 4 sticks of ram or you will be limited to lower ram speeds &/or timings. 512x2 is the most oft recommended setup, though 256x2 will get you by if you don't run alot of memory hungry apps. 64bit memory modules...128bit controller. The math is fairly simple. 512x2 is dual channel 1GB goodness.

I not sure what you are saying. Ram speed and FSB overclocking is same thing. Either way, the same concept. It'll limit your RAM overclocking.

Anyway, 2 sticks will only get you one DDR channel. You need 4 sticks to to run 2 DDR channel.

The memory controller is 128bit yes? The dimms are 64bit wide yes? Two 64 bit dimms is dual channel memory operation on a winchester provided they're in the appropriate memory slots. Believe me I know I have 512x2 in the computer I'm sitting at and it's most definately in dual channel memory operation. If you run 4 double sided sticks then your memory speed will be limited to DDR333. This is a limitation of the winchester's onboard memory controller. A limitation that is supposed to be eliminated in the forthcoming E0 core.

I'am going to go the low budget route here soon hopefully and get the epox board for 99$ and the 3000 for 151$ and see where it get's me as thats what I went with on the 754 setup so it should be a close comparsion.

Back