• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comparable AMD to a P4 @ 4.5ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi guys, i was wondering what cpu at stock or overclocked is comparable to my p4 3.2e at 4.5ghz?

I thinking of taking the AMD plunge for the first time. I want a cpu that will overclock like a beast under my vapochill LS.

Im a gamer, and I know that AMDs chips are better for that use.

What AMD would walk all over my system?

Important things:
1) overclocking potential
2) cost under $250 USD for cpu alone

theMonster said:
I don't think you'll do much if any better without going to an FX chip and that means $$$$

the truth has been spoken

keep the P4, at that speed, it'll smoke any desktop A64

so an overclocked athlon 64 3500 wouldnt be as good as my current setup? Even if its cooled by a vapochill?

with a vapo... if you got a winnie you could surely get some decent clocks

maybe wait for AMD to convert the others to 90nm tech so you can have a faster stock speed to start with (2.4 or 2.6)

Vio1 said:
Hi guys, i was wondering what cpu at stock or overclocked is comparable to my p4 3.2e at 4.5ghz?

I thinking of taking the AMD plunge for the first time. I want a cpu that will overclock like a beast under my vapochill LS.

Im a gamer, and I know that AMDs chips are better for that use.

What AMD would walk all over my system?

Important things:
1) overclocking potential
2) cost under $250 USD for cpu alone

Currently your 4.5 Ghz possess a fair amount of power, considering that it is of a 1.3 Ghz clock from a 3.2E. Anyhow, the only thing that will match such a nice clock would probably be a 3200+ or 3500+ Winchester, but at the moment they are subject to inconsistencies when facing sub-zero temperatures. However, the NF4 DFI motherboards have managed to bypass this, so we will find that people will soon be able to hook up their favorite 90nm chips to Vapochills, Prommies, and other forms of extreme cooling.

Unfortunately, these boards are not out at the moment, so you'll have to wait if you want to make the switch to AMD. Also, keep in mind that the video card often plays an important role in high frames, so you could always look into an x800 XT PE to tide yourself over. Then again, that all depends on whether or not you are willing to make such an expensive investment on an AGP card.

deception``

thats one of the main reasons i was thinking of switching. If i get a new videocard, i want it to be a pci-x and therefore will need a new motherboard and cpu, so the perfect time to switch over. I guess I will wait and see what pops up.

Vio1 said:
thats one of the main reasons i was thinking of switching. If i get a new videocard, i want it to be a pci-x and therefore will need a new motherboard and cpu, so the perfect time to switch over. I guess I will wait and see what pops up.
Yea I am doing the same. To be honest you would need to hit 2.6-2.7ghz to match what you already have. That being said unless you plan on getting an FX55 or 57 I wouldnt go to A64 quite yet.

You have a 4.5ghz and your wondering if an A64 even oced is going to do better in gamming eh?

Today games are heavily GPU dependant while at a high res, grafic setting etc etc.. therefore your not gonna get much Benefit from going to an A64, even when using a slower processor like a p4 3.0 or above.

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzAyLDc=

In this Doom3 ingame bench they use a p4 3.4ee vs an A64 53-FX (a64 4000).
In timedemos its obvious who the winner is but, this is ingame benching. We all know that PCI-E delivers no added performance with current cards so lets not look at that. What you want to look at is the results between the 2 processors. You get no diffrence in performance since its heavily gpu driven.

I did the same test awhile back and got the exact same min Framerate while ingame at the same settings. Only reason why I would want to upgrade to an A64 is because of UT2k4 which is heavily CPU driven. In that game I've seen people get 100-150% increase over what I get while ingame. Not timedemos. Ut2k4 is about the only modern game I know that is heavily cpu dependant while at highest grafic setting.

If you go by AMDs PR ratings instead of Intel GHz, it looks like (...though impossible to tell since it gets weird in places...) that you'd need a chip at 2.8 (1MB L2) or 3.0 (512KB L2) to be classified as 4500+ material. You might be able to do it, but it'd definatly need a good chip to pull it off.

JigPu

I saw those results before... and it shows that an AMD 3200 beat a p4 @ 3.8ghz!
IF that is so, what would an AMD 3200+ or better OC with a Vapochill be like? That would definetly blow my computer out of the water... wouldnt it?

Vio1 said:
IF that is so, what would an AMD 3200+ or better OC with a Vapochill be like? That would definetly blow my computer out of the water... wouldnt it?

Not necessarily. The Athlon 64 will not provide significant gains overall; rather, you'll need to hit some fairly high clocks to match your current P4. As Sentential said, you're looking at the 2.75-2.8 Ghz range, and that is far from a guaruntee. This should be possible with the newer cores, but current 90nm Winchesters are often hit-and-miss for high clocks. I say you're looking in the right direction for game performance, but you'd do well to wait it out for a bit.

deception``

Vio1 said:
what should i be waiting and looking for?

1. A highly overclockable and bug-free NF4 motherboard such as the upcoming DFI series, the NF4 Fatal1ty, or the MSI K8N Diamond.

2. A processor that will guaruntee high clocks such as 2.7-2.8 Ghz. This should actually be possible with current chips, but you'll have to use the DFI to bypass the sub-zero bug. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for rev E0 chips to use them on all boards.

3. An aggressively-priced PCIe card, such as the x800XL.

deception``

Vio1 said:

nothing currently will blow a 4.5 Ghz P4 out of the water, nothing, and i'm talking single CPU, i don't know anything in the dual CPU department (unless you wanna go that way). 4.5 Ghz is hefty so just keep it, your graphic card in the other hand isn't as good as some of the cards now, maybe that's your problem.

Deception...

Unfortunatly Hl2 is also a highly gpu intensive game which I'm sure you are well aware of.

To compare cpu's by means of timedemo benching for gamming performance is pointless since its obviously not going to show you what happens while ingame.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=100&type=expert&pid=7

I get these exact numbers on my system at the same settings while ingame. This shows you how highly gpu intensive HL2 is.

Unless you play modern games at low detail/res, then your not going to get much of a diffrence between the processors since at high detail/res, it becomes gpu bound.

The Anandtech article shows striking differences in performance using 1280x1024, which is considered to be a very standard resolution. Considering that most users do not game on 1600x1200, I think it offers a very good representation of scores that people would see. And for the record, those min and max frame rate benchmarks work best to show differences in video card solutions, not the affect of processors. So I hate to break it to you, but you cannot simply refer to those [H]ardOCP and PcPerspective links forever.

deception``

Last edited:
Just skimmed through most of this vio, but if ya want to match/ beat that 4.5 intel in games. a Newcastle 3500 would do fine in your vapo. as at around 2.9 gig your gaming experience would be above what your at with the intel.
I say newcastle over winchester since winnies dont show lots of love for the cold, and the memory controller seemed more irratic at high speeds compared to the newcastle. (yes I have tested both at 2.9gig, and a 3.2E at 4.5gig)

Now ofcourse with both of these chips at these speeds (intel/AMD) it's still gonna be win some loose some for other areas of testing. The intel will shine in super PI, prime95 bench and it's usual areas(multitasking/ multimedia), and the AMD will be killer in winrar, and gaming benchies. In thing like sandra. Arithmetic has slight edge for AMD along with membandwith, while CPU multimedia will go to Intel at those speeds.

The choice is yours, but both are truely fine steups at 2.9 A64 or 4.5 Intel.

look at the cpu scores that people get on futuremark.org for 3dmark03 and 05, I can almost guanrantee you that if you get a 3200 or 3500 winny past 3ghz it will beat your intel in gaming

In 3dmark 03 the highest cpu score for an intel is 1268 @ 4598mhz
The highest for amd is 1668 @ 3426mhz
and an AMD @ 3ghz scored 1443

Either way your NOT gonna knowtice the difference between ur intel and an amd... it will be like 5 fps at most, i wouldnt upgrade, i was faced with the same delimma, upgrading to a 3200 90nm from my 2.4 @ 3.4, and i decided not to becuase the gaming differnce will be no more than ~10fps.

Last edited:
Back