• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1673S - Faulty DVD Movie Playback Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dazzer

Registered
Hi people,

A few days ago I purchased a SOHW-1673S04C Liteon DVD burner.

I can burn CDs and DVDs with it fine, but it has a DVD movie playback problem.

What happens is when I play a DVD movie in the drive, the movie starts in the middle and plays (it does this straight away, playing the movie at a point halfway through the movie - doesn't go to the title menu even though I have never played the movie before (i.e. so it doesn't have a restore point).

I cannot even go to the beginning of the movie: even if I go to scene selection and choose the first scene, the movie just goes to the middle of the movie again - the same part of the movie it starts at every time.

I have used DVD movies from different DVD regions and used both PowerDVD 6 and WinDVD 6 as the software player, and both experienced this same problem.

I have a Intel 3gig chip, 1gig ram, running Windows XP and this is a freshly install HDD.

I have not flashed the DVD drive (it has the firmware installed that came with it when I purchased it 'JS01').

I have looked, but there doesn't seem to be any new firmware released for this drive.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dazz

PS If you think the drive may be a faulty unit and should be returned, please let me know.

weird but I think you may have both drives set to master or something like that. are you sure that the new drive is master and old drive is slave? I can't really think of anything else but try a few other movies and see what results you get.

Hi el,

I'm positive it is not that as I have two raid setups in my system and no IDE devices other than the DVD drive.

I think the drive is faulty; friend of mine has the same and does not have this problem.

Dazz

I have thought about that, but if I screw it up, it will void my warranty. So I figure I should return it and swap it for a new unit.

Dazz

I reseated the drive tonight and that seems to have done the trick! It plays movies fine now. A loose connection seems to have caused a very weird effect. I have tested the drive with half a dozen pressed DVDs, all dual layer, and it works spotlessly.

Thanks for your input ppl.

Dazz

Back