• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How good is D-links new gaming router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Personally speaking ive not used the router, however it looks to a a bit public relations selling to me the actual performance specifications are not really different from the Dlink-DI 624 router.

The only hype that looks interesting is the statement regarding :-
Introducing GameFuel ™ Priority Technology designed to provide the uninterrupted and latency-free gaming experience serious online gamers expect
Notice that the Hype states ''Designed to'' which is not the same as saying that this is what the unit actually does or is capable of !! :clap:
Considering that latency is the amount of time it takes for a data packet (i.e., a unit of data) to move across a network connection. Latency and bandwidth are the two factors that determine the speed of your connection. Now considering that Dlink do not know what enviroment you are going to have the router located or the distance of the systems from the router its seems to be a statement which can not be supported expecially with regards to the wireless connection which the signal strength alone can deteriorate greatly the further the system is located from the router..
Obviously OS choice along with networking products and materials will also effect greatly network performance, which is why this is sales hype in my opinion rather than a factually better product.
I would buy the Dlink-DI 624 if its more cost effective !

Peace of advice, I hate dlink,. will never touch them again. Baught two routers from them, one wired one wireless, both are terrible. Random reboots, on high traffic. And all kinds of problems.
Thanks

Miker1 said:
Which router would you recamend i should get?

I have a DI-524 which has a gaming mode option. When I have the gaming mode enabled I see about a 8ms reduction in my pings in CS:S but this is just me. Others may not have these types of results.

elec999 said:
Peace of advice, I hate dlink,. will never touch them again. Baught two routers from them, one wired one wireless, both are terrible. Random reboots, on high traffic. And all kinds of problems.
Thanks

same we had a d-link wireless and as son as you put more then 3 computers into it the nat would fail and tyou would have to keep rebooting it

i got the linksys wsg54 what ever abd love it!

as for the Dlink - i think it is just some sucker marketing ploy to sell their routers - ANY company could claim their router is a "gaming" router

"hey look! we have nat and port forwarding - now you can run servers and people can actually connect!!"

Last edited:
I run a Dlink Modem and Router and consider that they are pretty reasonable in performance

i have 2 dlink switches (8 port and 5port) a DI-624 and iv never had a single problem with them, support line is FREE (which i love, although u get the imported dudes who dont speak a damn word of english)

duno, i personally use wrt54g by linksys but my sister uses the 54g dLink at her place and doesnt complain. I recommend the wrt54g. That looks like itd be fine, but it is jacked up b/c it is black and it says gaming router

My brother, buddy and I all run the d-link 22Mbps wireless routers and have never had an issue. I am writing this on one with 2 wired and 2 wireless connections going, and its never dropped or reboted. I think they are the cost effective solution for those with limited funds that still want decent performance. As for CS:S, my buddy and I are usually in the lowest 3-4 pings on the servers.

Any router calling itself a "gaming" router is probably just trying to get a more favourable profit margin on unknowing punters. My router (which is fairly standard but well-built) has a 12ms ping and it's nothing particularly special.

Just get a good solid reliable router.

Dlink sucks.

Linkys doesn't.. remember that Cisco bought out Linksys not too long ago, ..i wonder why?

Linksys backed by Cisco = Quality

Motley said:
Dlink sucks.

Linkys doesn't.. remember that Cisco bought out Linksys not too long ago, ..i wonder why?

Linksys backed by Cisco = Quality

Every manufacturer has bad units. We start a poll, I'm guessing there won't be one brand where at least one or two people hasn't had problems with that particular brand.

I've used Dlink on client installs, and I used to own a Linksys. I've also used Netgear, and SMC. I've had my fair share of troubles with all of them at one point or another.

As for the orginal question - I highly doubt spending more money on the "gaming" router would do much good.

Last edited:
I love my D-Link 614+. I hate a first generation Linksys 802.11b router at it died on me. I tried the D-Link and haven't had a problem yet, I've had it for over 2 years now. The thing I really like about that new gaming router is the 4 Gb Ethernet ports. I'd consider buying it but damn that thing is going for $170+ on ebay.

Dell has their 8 port unmanaged gigabit switches going for under 80.00. Pick one up, add a typical wireless g router. Your good to go. Just run your computers through the switch, and run an uplink to an unused port on your router. A 4 port gigabit switch is very cheap also.

- Jim

I would recomend a linksys. The hacked linux firmware makes it very nice.
The only missing, its not gigabit.
Thanks

Back