• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for help? Can U Please help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikeymoto

:(

I have a lock up problem that seems to happen after it's been running awhile, usually a game or mpeg will lock it up if run for too long. When locked up the video freezes on current window, with no response from mouse od ctrl, alt, del. I think it's temperature related????? So I ordered a Athlon Freezer Pro CPU cooler along with Arctic Silver II thermo paste. I think it's a temperature problem because if I run small programs or just surf it will run forever. Anyhow? Can anyboby think of any other possibilities??? Any tips to make my system rock solid??? Once it becomes rock solid I want to Overclock it but first things first.

ASUS K7V mobo
Athalon 800Mhz Slot A
2 - PC133 128mb cas 2 mushkin sdram
1 - PC133 256mb ???Simpletech sdram
ATI Rage Fury 128 32mb
300w Power Supply

I built this thing almost a year ago, and it's never been rock solid. It's been more like jello pudding. Luckily I don't use it too much, since I've been doing most of my PC time at work. I want to pass this computer on to my step son who loves computer games. The way it runs, it's just about useless for gaming. Any and all advice will be welcomed.

Thanx,

Mike:)

i'm not too sure if it's temperature related cause my system used to do that and it was at a good temp (40 C full load 27 C sys). i think it had to do with my os (winblows 98 se) cause everything would work fine on win2k. i would suggest either using a different os or reformatting 'cause both cleared my problems. hope this helps.

I would look at what applications are running before getting into the hardware end - some programs just don't play nice. Especially since you indicate that other stuff works ok.

CTL-ALT-DEL and shutdown everything except systray and explorer then give that mpeg a try.

Failing that I would try a different program. I remember not too long ago my system just didn't like early Winamp revisions.

Also can't help but wonder if the 2 different sticks of ram are creating complications - perhaps try using just one as a test?

Also check to make sure all your device drivers are current.

It seems weird that it locks up after running a long time. How big are the clips in terms of time and file size?

Sorry if the advice is remedial but my experience is that some combination of the above usuall does the trick.

Last edited:
i would try defragmenting, that could clear away some of your problems. and also what hot dogg said is a good idea. i could be temperature realted so monitor that. and check if you should upgrade your OS to like ME or 2k

NotHisTechiness - Currently running ME. Have already reinstalled OS and have a new Hard Drive, still locks up.

Hotdogg - I've tried every combination of ram including singles. Divers are all current. System locks up no matter what size mpeg I'm playing, I play my mpegs on Windows Media Player. I will try your Idea about shutting down all other programs.

phungilax - I'm going to defrag then try Hotdogg's idea.

Thanks Guys,

I'll post a follow up to let you know what happens.

Nope! Still locking up.

Well my new CPU cooler is in transit, I should have it by Friday. It's a Athalon Freezer Pro and I ordered a tube of Artic Silver II.

I've got a question? I pulled my CPU (Slot A 800Mhz Athlon) the other day and looked into the plastic case, is there any way to improve the contact between the plastic case and the processor?

Mike

Back