• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you boot to BIOS with out a CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frost Byte

I'm just curious. Are you able to get to your BIOS if you don't have your CPU in? I'm wanting to know because I don't know if my MOBO or CPU died.

Will it beep or anything? My computer is just going to a blank screen. All the fans that normally slow down after boot are going full speed. I am just wondering if its my CPU or my Motherboard. Everything else in the computer is fine.

If the CPU is dead, no you will hear no beeps, but the fans can still run. That is how it normaly goes for me. As you may have seen ive fried lots of mobos and cpus.

ok, well that is probally what happened then. I don't know what happened. I didn't even get to overclock it yet :( and its OEM so its warrenty is gone.

I'm pretty sure (I did check) that I didn't get artic silver anywhere it shouldn't have gone, but if I did, could that create a problem? I know tis a silver compound, but I think its nonconductive....but I don't know.

Can you not swap out your CPU into ur parents/friends machine - that will give you a definitive answer to whether its ur mobo or CPU. I had the exact same thing happen to me just after christmas, mobo died - well it AGP bit did - dunno wot caused it tho :cry: . good luck

D.L

That'd be easy, but my family or my buddies don't have 754, they have socket A or 939.

Back