• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning radiators, what stuff is the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

Hi,

I want to clean my radiators (most of them are heatercores). I tried flushing the interior with water but there is still residue from my last coolant. So what stuff should i use? i perfer NOT alcohol as it will leave white residue thats even harder to remove.

Oh, how does the residue from previouse coolant effect the cooling capacitor of a heatercore/radiator?

-MameXP

wait wouldnt taht mixture leave residue in the end? Seriously as i learned Chemistry way back in hs, any type of soap or detergent will leave residue.

I dont think i will try it, not to mention the bubble

people soak their HC's in vinegar to clean them off (after buying from auto parts store)... so i think that it would be your best bet to run some vinegar through it, and then thoroughly flush it with water after that

Sneaky said:
people soak their HC's in vinegar to clean them off (after buying from auto parts store)... so i think that it would be your best bet to run some vinegar through it, and then thoroughly flush it with water after that

Hmm i think i will eventually do that if i couldnt find anything. Gosh i hate how vinegar smells.....

Another option would be an offical 'Radiator Cleaner' like this -->Castle Radiator Flush

If you go with a product like this however I would flush it several times to make sure no impurities/deposits were left behind. It has acid like vinegar as well as some other undefined 'cleaners'.

I have not personally used this, it simply looks like it would fit the bill.

vinegar is what i used to clean it out the first time... i bought a radiator flush, prestone i think, but i too havent used it on my system yet

vinegar didnt seem to leave a residue on anything i washed it with... from poly to the rad...

Bugsmasher said:
Another option would be an offical 'Radiator Cleaner' like this -->Castle Radiator Flush

If you go with a product like this however I would flush it several times to make sure no impurities/deposits were left behind. It has acid like vinegar as well as some other undefined 'cleaners'.

I have not personally used this, it simply looks like it would fit the bill.

Hm i wonder where i can find it. I will stop by local auto parts when i have time.

Has anyone tried acetone or alcohol (ethanoic acid)?

Do you think it would be okay if I used acetone to clean the core and flush it through?

I wouldn't use that much acetone =X it's not the best stuff to use in that much quantity, insofar as vapors go..

vinegar or radiator flush I've also heard.

Vinegar.
I can personally attest to this. You funnel it in, get the cheap stuff, and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then flush it out. It will take everything off that brass/copper, even old dye.

XeonStrikeForce said:
isn't viniger simply diluted Acetic acid ?
Right. Support open source: use vinegar not CLR.

Long soaking with vinegar (hours), or failure to rinse, will grow oxides.

Back