• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 2.4a SL88F EO stepping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter p

I don't see anything on Intels web site on this processor. Is this, SL88F an EO stepping and if it is, is it better to overclock than the SL7E8 p4 2.4a CO stepping?

It is an EO. I found it on one of intels pages. It's under 2.4E
Do you think I should get this one or the CO stepping?

Is that the 2.4 Prescott with a 533 FSB? They usually overclock pretty well, so I'd imagine an E0 stepping would overclock very well if you have a good stepping. HardOCP got their's up to 3.7 gigs on 1.6V with cheap watercooling, and that was back in march of last year so I'd imagine the new steppings are doing pretty well.

You'd need some good cooling for that cpu if you planned on oc'ing it though.

There is no E0 stepping 2.4A listed on the Intel s-spec finder. There is no SL88F listed in the database. There is a D0 stepping 2.4A SL7YP which would be better than the C0 stepping 2.4A SL7E8 that you listed.

I own one. Just put it together last night. Overclocked it alittle 166\166 with stock voltage and stock cooling running at 3ghz (166x18). Temps are 40 degrees celcius idle and 50 degrees full load. Want to get better cooling before I go higher. Any recomendations? I don't want to spend a fortune though.

What's your budget? I'd recommend spending a good amount of money on a HS so you don't have to later, you'll save money in the long run if you spend it up front. For overclocking a Prescott, I'd recommend getting a Thermalright HS, either the XP-90 or XP-120 depending on how much cooling you want and what you can afford.

XP-120
XP-90

The XP-90 is cheaper and is easier to install, but it doesn't cool as well and you need a faster fan to get the same temps, meaning more noise. With the XP-120, you can install a slower moving 120mm fan and get some very low temps or get a high powered 120mm fan (which is still quieter than most 92's) and get some really low load temps.

Here's the motherboard's that support the XP-120: [urlhttp://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_faq_motherboard_xp120_p4.htm]LINK[/url]

I'd recommend getting one of these fans (Panaflo and Delta make some of the best fans)

High speed Delta
Low Speed Delta
High Speed Panaflo
Medium Speed Panaflo

Any of those fans would be a good choice...... either way, look at spending around 50-60 dollars on a good HS/F combination. Once you buy it though, it's compatible with S478 and I think you can buy and adapter for LGA775, so it'll be sufficient cooling for a long time.

Hope this helps a little :)

get the E0
i don't know how well does the C0 do, but my E0 got to 3.8Ghz 211FSB w/ stock voltage

however, all the 2.4A doesn't have HT though..

Back