• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE and SATA on same RAID controller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFIsoldier

Any RAID controller cards that supports IDE and SATA all the same (ex: 2x SATA drives and 2x IDE drives in raid 5, or 2x SATA in RAID 0 w/ mirror to the 2x IDE?). If not, how could I set something up like that? Two seperate controller cards?

The only one I know of

The only one i know of is a diffrent motherboard NF3 and NF4 both have the capability of running dedicated and mixed raid. $.02

MassRaptor

you could usa a PATA- SATA converter and run 4 in RAID 5....but unless it's a true hardware controller your performance is gonna be crap....I'd stay away from RAID 5 unless it's SCSI and in the server realm.

I haven't heard of a mixed pci card.I ran two different raid0 arrays on my 8RDA+ and backed up the important partitions to another IDE drive using Ghost that comes with the mobo.Best reason not to use raid is lack of hard drives.

Controllers can only generally run in either RAID mode or IDE mode, not both at the same time. RAID conrollers can often run more than 1 RAID array at a time though.

AFIsoldier said:
SO just stay away from RAID all-together then? And use the IDE's as slaves, and the SATAs as the primarys?

I would do that...I just have large doubts about the benefits of RAID in terms of performance increase. I think anytime someone says it seems "quicker" it's merely placebo....only thing RAID is good for is data security IMHO. And for that just run RAID 1 unless you have SCSI, then raid 5 is the prefered choice if you have 3+ disks...for most web servers they still run RAID 1 SCSI arrays because it's cheaper for the controller and drives.

I will probably get seperate SATA and IDE controller cards and just by-pass the mobo. The way it has it, there are 4 IDE sockets, but I never could get 3 and 4 to work.

You would have to install the raid drivers for the raid IDE's to work.You would then have to enter the raid bios to configure your drive(s).The highpoint is a good chip that will use less cpu cycles then another pci card soloution.

Back