• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI neo 2 plat won't post in Dual channel, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mysti_Rayne

Registered
I tried to run two dimms in dual channel on 1&2, green and purple, next to each other but they didn't work. Then I tried 3&4. Everytime I hear, a beep sound, ever 5 second. And it won't post. It works on 1&3 both greens. It posts as DDR333. I dont' know why, my ram is DDR400. I don't know what's wrong. No matter which configuration of Dual ram i tried it won't post, the motherboard just makes a beeb sound every 5 second. I've updated the bios to 1.4.

BTW, I try to overclock, and i went to the cell menu. I see on top that my memory is running at 110. Isn't it supposed to be running at 200 since it's DDR400? Sorry i'm so new to this. This is my first time building my own computer and overclocking so i have no idea what i'm supposed to do. Most of the things that I read here i don't know where to find on my motherboard bios.

sounds like the ram isnt compatible for dual or the mobo.Was it bought as a dual channel package?what ram is it?

Mysti_Rayne said:
I tried to run two dimms in dual channel on 1&2, green and purple, next to each other but they didn't work. Then I tried 3&4. Everytime I hear, a beep sound, ever 5 second. And it won't post. It works on 1&3 both greens. It posts as DDR333. I dont' know why, my ram is DDR400. I don't know what's wrong. No matter which configuration of Dual ram i tried it won't post, the motherboard just makes a beeb sound every 5 second. I've updated the bios to 1.4.

BTW, I try to overclock, and i went to the cell menu. I see on top that my memory is running at 110. Isn't it supposed to be running at 200 since it's DDR400? Sorry i'm so new to this. This is my first time building my own computer and overclocking so i have no idea what i'm supposed to do. Most of the things that I read here i don't know where to find on my motherboard bios.

You might want to put your current rig in your sig - makes it easier for folks to help ;) .

You definitely have your ram in the correct dimm slots for dual channel . Like ETUK said it may be a problem with your ram.

Try clearing the CMOS - that often fixes strange problems.

ETUKE said:
sounds like the ram isnt compatible for dual or the mobo.Was it bought as a dual channel package?what ram is it?

They are two identical DIMMS from an Old dell. Both DDR400.

Mysti_Rayne said:
They are two identical DIMMS from an Old dell. Both DDR400.
unless the dell had dual channel or the sticks were bought as a dual channel package then theres no garantee that it will work in dual.I had 2 identical samsung ddr400 512 megs sticks(everything was identical even the manufacture)and they would not run dual without errors,but I could boot to windows in dual.Plus the msi board is a bit picky on ram,get the specs off the ram and goto msi website and see if its in the suported list.Have you tried memtest on the ram?It may be faulty.

most all pc3200(ddr400) will run dual channel i dought its the memory inability to run dual channel, put the sticks in dimm slot 1&2(closet to the CPU) for dual channel(128bit) operation, trust me this is nothing more than the way MSI setup the board. everyone who has this board runs it the same way

squeezecat said:
most all pc3200(ddr400) will run dual channel i dought its the memory inability to run dual channel, put the sticks in dimm slot 1&2(closet to the CPU) for dual channel(128bit) operation, trust me this is nothing more than the way MSI setup the board. everyone who has this board runs it the same way

Read his first post again - he has the sticks in the correct slots.

thanx ive read the post wrong sorry for that

also try to run 1 stick at a time to get a 2t timing the board defaults to a 1t

I have the same board and I encountered the same problem, which is now fixed. This is only what happened to me and what I did to correct it.

1. I dis-connected everything except what I would need to bootup such as
primary HD/ CDROM/FLOPPY, nonething extra.

2. If you are useing a large amount of DDR like I was trying to do, then this will be the base of your problem. The motherboard will only read 1.5BG of double sided DDR. Any additional DDR must be single sided. At the same time you must ensure that you have the DDR inserted into the proper DDR slots. I think that the book calls for offsetting the slots such as 1 and three and two and four. Look here MSI
MSI Reminds You...
• Dual-channel DDR works ONLY in the 3 combinations listed in the table shown in the previous page.
• Please select the identical memory modules to install on the dual channel, and DO NOT install three memory modules on three DIMMs, or it may cause some failure.
• Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are left empty.
• This mainboard DO NOT support the memory module installed with more than 18 pieces of IC (integrated circuit).
• The Maximum memory speed decreases when the following two memory combination is selected:
- Each channel is installed with two double-sided memory module
- Both DIMM1 and DIMM3 are installed with double-sided memory module
• Due to the South Bridge resource deployment, the system density will only be detected up to 3+ GB (not full 4GB) when each DIMM is installed with an 1GB memory module

Once you have figured this out, you will also need to get into the Bios and enable many different features on the MB such as the SATA option.

Back