• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JackpotMonkey

Registered
Recently Upgraded from a Abit NF7-S and a Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.2ghz to a new DFI Lanboy NF3 250gb UT + a64 3000+ @ stock, before the upgrade my case temps were always at ambient, around 22-25c and even OC'd my processor rarely hit over 45c. Since i had heard such great things about the retail hsf that came with the 3000+ I decided to stick with it instead of getting some monster cooling solutions like I had previously (running a thermalright SLK 900 On the 2400+) well to say the least Im having issues. My case temps now run around 28-32 idle (which is about 9c above ambient) and my cpu stays at 47-51c idle. Even after some re-aranging of fans which netted me about 4c better case temps the cpu is still running really hot IMO. I get reboots when playing stressful games that seem to be coming from the cpu (tried causing the reboots with the video card and cant seem to and since my temps are so warm Its the most logical answer). Anyways when mounting the HSF I wiped off the retail gunk they put on with some oops to get it all then used AS5 (just a small dab, per instructions, in the center). So what is your opinions on this? Should I just get a new hsf which I will end up with anyways, but I wonder why my temps are so high now? I also added a SATA HDD to the system if that helps. TIA :)

See what kind of load temps you get with the side panel off and a desk fan or simular device blowing cool air into your case... :)

Mobo might just read temps diff.

Erm well havent a fan to test that, but side fan blows almost directly onto the processor, I can try taking it off and testing that blowing directly onto the cpu (line up the window fan to cpu) Thing is that my cpu temp doesnt seem to drop much with the case temp. I mean with my newly aranged fan layout I dropped the case temp about 4-6c and I maybe droped 1c on cpu. I have a total of 7 case fans, atm I have it setup (the best I have found so far) as 5 intake 2 exaust, I have 1 exaust on top and one in front (trying to see if the new hdd was my heat problem so I am sucking air out of the case over it to cool rather than blowing in over it. Intakes are situated 2 back near top (below psu) one side, one front (lower). The psu also acts as a exaust.

BTW If i wasnt doing a forced restart Then I would just assume that the damn thing is reading wrong, which is in fact what I thought innitially when I put the system together, but due to the crashing under load I have come to the conclusion that its gatta be heat related (only happens under heavy load, like UT2004) Im going to try to isolate the problem by running a full bore prime 95 session tonight to be absolutely sure its not my damn video card, which I highly doubt.

I upgraded to catylist 5.2 before trying this and was still having the crashing issues, so this was my next step.
Went and checked my voltages, AGP was set to 1.5v bumped it up to 1.6 and tested for 30 minutes without a single problem. My average time before the bump was about 13-15 minutes to a crash... Of course this is still not set in stone untill I test it for a few hours of ut2k4... heh...

Well ... as a temp solution till u upgrade or fix ur coolin issue...get a desk fan or a square one open the side of your case....crank the fan and blow it right in the side of the case...

I did this for a short time when I had my old 2.6. It was cooking like a roast...so That reduced the temps by about 8* on load and 12* on Idle....mind you it was noisy and dusty. But in short term untill u fix it this is the best Idea IMO

Back