• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce4 Ti cooling (not stock), 54k - beware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ven0m

GeForce4 Ti cooling (not stock), 56k - beware

Recently I thought that my Ge4 cooling wasn't cool enough (linky), so I decided to replace it with:
GeForce4_XFX_Prescott1.jpg
GeForce4_XFX_Prescott2.jpg
updated pics
Yes, this is a Prescott cooler. :clap:
I run it passive in common uses, and OC and turn on fan in games. I hadn't got time to test efficiency so far.
Raw cost was around $4. But it required lots of work, much more than my previous cooler. So I had to drill holes for screws and thread them, cut and slightly modify heatsink not to make it collide with AGP and PCI slots. Finally, fan mounting had to be modified - due to interferrence with slots. I had to cut it a bit and add alternative mounting - with grandpa we've made some springs, one you can see on photo. Everything was done yesterday evening and today morning.

I may add some more photos on request, and I have some doubts if it should be posted here or in project logs section. At first I wanted to make step-by-step guide on modding coolers for graphics cards, as previous mod was quiet easy. Unfortunatly this one turned out to be pretty problematic, so there will be no guide for avg Joe.

Last edited:

I used to run 310/567 earlier, 320/567 with noisy fan and max of around 324/580 in cold enviroment. I know that it can handle more, as for limited time it doesn't art with mem (4ns Samsungs) at 596. GPU ran 327 for limited time too. I'll do some benchies today.

I've got P4C cooler by CM for memory - to "cut & paste", but I've got no thermal tape - so I'll add these sinks probably next week. Till then I can't run memory fast enough.

It's Ge4 Ti 4200 by XFX, with 128megs of 4ns Samsung RAM.
I've bought it as only 4200s appeared in Poland, so it's pretty old. Fortunatly, it's pretty OCable. With this cooler and RAMsinks it should handle some Vmods.

I plan to link fan switch with vmod switch too, not to make it fry, when I turn off fan.

yeah that thing is massive
is it really that effective to have that on it, i dunno but it seems like that would not work that well
but it seems to do a good job

Yeah, it's 3 slots - 2 for radiator and 3rd for fan and air intake.

Is it massive? Yes.
Is it worth to block 3 slots? In my case - yes, as I had them free and without better plans to use them.
Purpose? Mostly fun, then performance and noise level (fan off in 2D).

And it's not that big problem in terms of weight, as heatsik touches these PCI slots, so it doesn't "pull" the card :)
With this post I somehow wanted to encourage people to do some crazy mods :)

Ok, it's tested - with ~22-23*C room temp it maxes at around 332/580 with fan at 12v. Fan doesn't like undervolting.
So max at 332/580 with 22*C ambient, and I run it at 328/567 to leave some margin. Problem with memory is that steps are 567, 580 and 596 and I can't run anything between these.
It's an improvement, as earlier I could run around 320MHz, around 324 in colder enviroment and in cold enviroment around 330. I used to run it earlier at around 310MHz with fan at 7v, as fan was very noisy at 12v. That Prescott cooler isn't that noisy and it's no pain to run it at full speed while gaming. Perhaps I'll have to turn speed down when I go back home, as I have around 27*C there.
Card isn't Vmodded yet, but this cooler shows that it has some more potential - vmod is on TODO list along with RAMsinks. I think that this card could max at around 340-350/596 at air, in normal room temps, maybe more.

// small edit //
to compare - stock speeds are 250/446

Last edited:
now taht is my kinda cooler! very nice man. you should slap an SB2 on there. really snazzy design =D

:D
But temps are -== room ==- temps :)
I haven't got any sensor on my card and lost my digital probe. The only way I can check temps is by touching backside of card, where GPU is / touching RAM.
With GPU and fan at full speed temperature is "slightly warm, close to ambient" (earlier "pretty warm / hot"). And with fan off, at stock speeds, it's "pretty hot" (earlier "ouch, it hurts").

threeme2189 said:
man that cooler is umm how do you say?...
UBER1337 and AWSOME ohh and it totally R0XXX0R2!!!!!!!
no really its that cool. and btw nice overclock with the card!

Thanks for your words, It's cool that you like it.
Anyway I'd like to encourage to making such mods. This one was pretty hard, but in most cases modding heatsink is easy, if only you have tools.
The easist to mod are straight fins Socket A heatsinks, as they're designed to have CPU not in middle of heatsink, but slightly to side - so they won't collide with PCI slots.

nice ven0m.
Ah yes the Ti4200 by XFX very nice cards i have to say best Nvidia card of all time.

loks like ur going to snap the board might wanaget a card holder on that thing.

i cant wait to see the ram sinks...

seeing as you like to mess around did u ever think about that mod were u get a extra ram sinkand mount it with thermal tape to the back end of the GPU.
i always wantedto do that but didnt have termal tape and didnt want any metalshorting out any thing so i coulldnt.

lokinto it and try it out just cut up a bit of a larger ram sink

That's not over :D
I've got 3M thermal tape, cut some cheapo CM cooler and made 4 RAMsinks from half of that CM thing. Another 4 are on the way. These are 28x34x15mm, 5 fins with additional 3 cuts - ~100cm^2 each.

Results: stable 594 MHz in 3dMark03 without artifacts

I'll add ramaining sinks on the other side of card, when I finish them. To reduce weight, I've made base of sinks thinner. It's pretty much work, but I like it :) I doubt I'll be able to push that mem over 600, becasue next speed I can set is 607.5MHz and these chips are Samsung 4ns. Perhaps it will be doable with some v-mod.

I rarely play games, so vmod would have to be on switch, as vmodded card running passive isn't the best idea. Other thing that might be important, is that this card has overheated some time ago, when stock cooler died. I haven't realized that in time, just egzamined my Ge4 when my computer started to crash randomly :( .

Back