• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of my league or.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harper81

Registered
I am debating getting the AMD 3000+ DTR, but I have never built a computer before. Whats the chances I won't crush the core of the CPU? If I am extra careful, can a noob builder do it, or would I be better off just getting a regular Athlon64? If I do get the DTR, what heatsink should I get and give me a link to a website that carries that heatsink.

I think anyone can do it if he's extra carefull. I'm not too sure on the heatsink, as the DTRs need a specific type of heatsink that does not use the included AMD bracket, but bolts into the two holes.
I would also highly recommend you read this article from the front page: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1197

dont sweat it. I have a true mobile 3400cg and as long as you are carefull you will be fine.you will need a good heatsink. if air use slk 948u thermalright.

try a swiftech mcx6400V ( it has to be screwed in so your all set ) , it has a nice thick copper base with aluminum threads for better dissipation. it comes with 80 mm fan brackets so u can eithe order 92 mm fan brackets or use a 80mm to 92mm fan adapter with a nice cfm delta or sunon with a fan controller. U should be all set that ways. just make sure u get a 38 mm fan instead of the 25 mm one ( thickness wise ) . 38 mm creates more pressure in my experience . My 92mm delta with my xp90 is at a paltry 2500 rpm (can barely hear it) with load temps at 41C with the IHS on my winchester so without the IHS u should get even better temps than me.
Swiftech
Delta fan
Fan Adapter

Back