• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 64 Retail heatsink? + Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoPaN

As soon as I get my tax returns I will be getting an AMD 64 3200 (retail) and a new motherboard. I will be purchasing the goods form Newegg. First question is how good is the retail heatsink? Anyone have a pic of one?

Also as far as motherboard choice, I did want the MSI NEO Platinum but they have been out of stock for so long now with no sign of them coming back in any time soon. A lot of people seem to like the Asus NF3 mobo, and the Epox too (has to have AGP). Other than the MSi what motherboard should I go for?

One last thing, I will be overclocking this combo, should I upgrade from the retail heatsink? if so any recomendations?

Thanks

u want to go s939 with the A64 realistically. I would personally pick up a 3000+ and a DFI Ultra-D.

-Most 3000+ seems to be able to hit 2.5-2.7g on air.
-DFI Ultra-D is the cheapest of the s939 DFI boards not supporting SLI, but is still DFI.

The stock cooler on s939 A64's is quite adequate, seeing that most people hit high clocks with low vcores on winchesters, with some seeing no improvement from the stock cooler to an aftermarket one.

I only see a DFI Ultra D on Newegg that is SLI, I need AGP seeing as I have a 9800pro and im not going to be upgrading to a PCI card in quite some time.

Thats socket 754, I want a 939 mobo. I can get the 754 version from Newegg.

I never said they did, but from what ive read they have one coming out soon.

Thing I need to consider is Nforce 3 or Via based motherboard. Both have there good sides, need to do some research on that.

Deadphishy said:
I hate to break it to you, but they don't make one.

They do make a S939 Neo Platinum. It was the former best S939 overclocker (Lanparty has taken that over). The Epox board is a good board. I would go for it since the 939 Neo Platinum is MIA.

Dont get a NEO2...if going with a NF3...go with the Epox...the only downside to the Epox is...you can not run the OCZ booster with it...caps can not take it...but if you get some good TCCD memory...you wont need to worry about using a booster because TCCD runs fine up to 2.85v...

I have had no problems with the AN8 abit motherboard so far and it's very good. Also i would get the XP-90 cooler instead of retail and it's not that expensive. I idle at 31C and max at 44C

Hey MOTO7451, just noticed your avatar heheh Its Lo Pan from " Big trouble in little china" In all my years of online gaming ive always used the name LoPaN ;/

Funnily enough I was just looking at it on Newegg, there are 2 versions the $189 version is out of stock, I guess the cheaper version is just missing a few things. Right now its between the Asus and the Epox, maybe the soltek.

The biggest frustration I have right now is Nf3 or Via K8T800pro. Is there an AGP lock on the Via chipsets? e.g on the Asus VIA K8T800 Pro ? Is there really any advantage between these 2 chipsets?

Ok so it looks like im going to be getting an Epox 9nda3+, a retail AMD 64 3200 (939), a Thermalright XP 90.

Any better recomendations on the heatsink? if not what fan should I pair with the XP 90? I want a good quality 90mm fan with good CFM but not a crazy loud jumbo jet :)

Back