• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrappyBox

Registered
Hi everyone, I am in the process of building my first computer. I live in New Zealand and when I went in and got a quote I found that they only sold AMD A64 3500's on a NewCastle core...in fact i think all the A64s are NewCastles, anyway the guy in the store seemed to think i wont be able to get Winchesters anywhere in the country!!! So my question is, how much better is the Winchester, i wanna know whether its worth me to keep looking (possibly to no great end). Also just some pros/cons on both would be nice :)
Thanx for the help!!!

Well I don't own a Winnie but they run cooler and (lower Vcore?). They are also a 90nm process so you will get a performance boost out of it and as far as I know the Socket 754s don't run the memory in dual channel so you loose a tad of performance there. The Winchesters however are a more hit or miss situation on the overclock some overclock well some don't and (they can't reach as high Vcore as a NewCastle?). The NewCastles are more of a gaurantee to get a decent overclock.

Like I said I don't own a Winnie but from what I have learned and read this seems to be the case. I also do not have any benchmarks to really tell you how the chips fare against eachother. Hopefully I helped you some : /

Very true gunnerman. I had three winchesters, all overclocked poorly. I went with a newcastle, and it did almost the EXACT same overclock as my older newcastle, as well as my cousin's newcastle...which was around 2.6ghz. So, it is like taking a risk to get a super OC, or settling for a somewhat reliable 2.6ghz. It comes down to preference.

-Collin-

Sorry for the late reply, cat ate ethernet cable...stupid thing lol
Oh thanx guys, now i dont feel like im missing out so much :) Btw GunnerMan I will be running socket 939, just with a NewCastle core, so I will be able to run duel channel :) Thanx for your help guys! This forum is awesome!

Back