• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory timing, tRas at 11 improves bandwidth ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

Hi,

I've read some posts claims that tRas at 11 will give you more bandwidth in sandra in nF2 DC platform. Is it true? I havent been updated with memory lately so...

I always thought that 2-2-2-5 is the tightest timing, therefore it will gives you the highest bandwidth at the same clock. Someone said i should change to 2-2-2-11 which will give higher bandwidth and let me clock higher.

I'm running Mushkin Lv2 black DC at 220mhz btw.

Let me know what you guys think

-MameXP

Yeah it was discovered some time ago. To my knowledge it was just with NForce2 setups (nforce2 was newer at the time of discovery)...using 11 tras does seem to increase mem performance slightly ... but it's REALLY small. You'll never notice a difference - gains are minimal even in sandra

Yes, that was the rap on nf2, but when I ran Sadra on mine I found by best setting was 8. Best advice is to run the benchnarks for yourself and see what works best for you.

So wait... does tRas at 11 mean relaxing my mem timing? If so i can overclock my mem abit more right? I really like 2-2-2 so far ....

Let me know so i dont waste my time playing with it :D

The Anomaly: nVIDIA’s nForce2 and tRAS

An anomaly can be described as something that’s difficult to classify; a deviation from the norm or common form. This is exactly the situation with tRAS (Active to Precharge) and nVIDIA’s nforce2 chipset. As said before, not sparing the effort is what has lead to the initial discovery of this anomaly many months ago. It’s pretty well known by now, in a nutshell, a higher tRAS (i.e. higher than, say, the Mushkin mandated sum of CAS+tRCD+2) on nforce2 motherboards consistently shows slightly better results in several benchmarks and programs. In most cases, 11 seems to be the magic number. Other chipsets do not display this “deviation from the norm”, so what makes the nforce2 different?

This thread has been on the topic for a while now, and TheOtherDude has given a possible explanation for this anomaly.

“Unlike most modern chipsets, the Nforce2 doesn't seem to make internal adjustments when you change the tRAS setting in the BIOS. These "internal" (not really sure if that’s the right word) settings seem to include Bank Interleave, Burst Rate and maybe even Auto-precharge. For optimal performance, tRAS (as measured in clock cycles) should equal the sum of burst length, plus the finite time it takes the RAM to conduct a number of clock independent operations involved with closing a bank (~40 ns) minus one clock if Auto-precharge is enabled (this factor can be slightly effected by CAS, but should not play a role in optimal tRAS). To complicate things even more, one bank cannot precharge a row while the other specifies a column. This brings tRCD into the mix.

Higher isn't always better, but the reason everything is so weird with tRAS and the Nforce2 is simply because the chipset doesn't make the internal optimizations to accommodate your inputted tRAS value like most other chipsets.”

Thats from the RAM FAQ

you prbably wont get much higher if at all whne you jsut change it to 11.. you may have to drop back to 2-3-3-11 (still excellent timings) to raise it more..

the object is to test and see what inprovements are being noted.. i knwo you like 2-2-2-5 but you may get alot better bandwitdh going to cas 2.5-3-3-11.. depends on how hogh you can ge your ram to go ..

keep your cpu in check and run sandra.. see what your max bandwitdh is and what timings run best for you..

try to change to 3-4-4-11 and see what max fsb you get ...

Back