• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 64 Bit processor should i concider buying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Which 64 Bit processor should i consider buying?

Well, just this weekend, i chipped my mobile 2600+'s core...the bottom left corner.

luckely, it still runs...with the help of duct tape...seriously. because of that chipped area, the HS doesn't want to sit flat anymore, it wants to angle downwards torward that chipped area. and whenever that happens my computer shuts off. and if the HS isn't in the correct position ( aka: 90 degree angle from processor ) the computer won't even boot. so i used some duct tape, and its keeping the HS from " falling " downwards.

well doing this made me think, why should i spend nearly 100 dollars just to replace what i have. i'd get no real gain.

sooo, i was thinking, what 64 bit AMD processor should i get? also, i will be doing as much OC'ing as possible. my ram can handle 250+ FSB. so plan to use ever bit of juice i can get out of this thing. and i probably plan on using Thermal Rights XP-120 Heat Sink.

Oh, and i want to get DFI's 64bit board too. i'm using DFI now, i trust them, i like them, i wish to continue to use them. they have been great for my overclocking.

so i just need help on figuring out which processor to get that would overclock the best. and give me good times on boinc.

now, this upgrade won't happen instantly, might be a month or two down the road ( or depending on when the processor actually dies out on me ).

oh and i'd prefer to say as an example get a 3200, and overclock it, instead of a 3400, due to price difference. since i can overclock it, and get it past the speeds of the 3400. as an example.

hope some people here can help. i don't know a whole lot about the 64 bits really to decide this on my own. like which is better, 754 pin, or 939? which one again will have more of a future ( aka: that i can keep upgrading in the DFI board, or something along that rout )

Thanks again everyone.

Edit : Just noticed, i spelled CONSITER wrong in the title of this thread :p

Last edited:
You are looking at a 939 system, most likely the 939 DFI Ultra-D, unless you want one designed specifically for SLI support, which you will need a different model for.

Essentially, you can decide now that you are getting a winchester core... Unless venice cores come out before you purchase, you might want to look at how those are performing, as they should be an improvement. I don't know what the ETA is on Venice.

For price performance you want to look at a 3000+ or 3200+. The difference is the multipler 3000+ has 9, 3200+ has 10. Which you want depends on the speeds you expect your RAM can attain at various settings and what you want your CPU frequency to end up at - generally though, you can look at the 3200+ as giving more flexibility, but having a higher cost.

Steppings that are good are CBBHD around the 45th week of last year I think - there are probably others I'm not aware of. CBBID steppings have been generally not terribly impressive overclocking. Any later week 04 or early 05 is not great from what I have seen. I need to look around more though, and haven't done enough research to say all of this advice is right on point.

This page may give you more details on 64 bit AMD processors and how they fit in:

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

You should notice that this page is maintained and created by our forums own c627627. :)

All of this information should give you a start, but I would wait to hear from the real professionals of this section before forming any firm opinions.

Last edited:
thanks for replying.

i was looking at newegg, and i saw one tiny small problem....the DFI 939 boards don't support AGP.

and i don't really have the money to go out and buy a brand new video card. i can handle either the card, or the mobo/cpu. but not both at the moment. and i'd rather have a faster CPU and Mobo, than a new video card ( since my GeForce 3 TI200 is still working well enough to play the newest games out, not the best quality, but i can play them )

hopefully, my processor lasts long enough.

anyone know what prices to expect for the Duel core chips? and anyone know about when they will be released? if i can, i'd wait for those...but if my processor dies, i might as well upgrade to something.

Dual core chips in the AMD variety shouldn't hit until Q4 or more likely 06 I think, not sure though. Intel's will hit first, and their showcase chip debuted at 2Ghz according to the frontpage today - so I would think they have a long way to go before you should get excited about them.

There are some cheap PCI-E cards available, so you might want to consider picking up one of the lower budget cards, as they would likely perform similarly to what you have now. That might get you buy, let you buy what I consider the best overclocking board for 939 right now, as well as give you a good upgrade path for the future with the PCI-E graphics.

Mate, the new Venice cores have arrived in Germany!
You might want to grab one when they are released in the US.

I recommend the ASUS A8V if you need a solid reliable AGP based solution. If you have any problems with the ASUS A8V Deluxe, I'll be glad to help you sort 'em out.

well now i just need to look up video cards for PCI-E. and figure out which one i should get. one that won't set me back too much money, yet the same or a bit better than my current card.

sooo its looking like...

either the 3000+ or the 3200+ for the processor....

and i still have my eyes 110% set on the DFI "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D board.

that there already puts me at about 350 bucks, without the video card. so if i have the money, hopefully i can shell out another 150 for a video card. that would put me right at 500 bucks.

arg, not to mention i want a new case, and i'll want a new PSU. AND i'll have to go out and get a new HS ( the XP-120 ) arg....this sure will be expensive....hopefully my current setup lasts long enough for me to save....or i'll have to go the cheapest solution. or even do what i don't want to, buy another 2600+, and keep saving for the full system upgrade.

thanks so far guys.

I am lovin my new Ultra-D i had some problmes at first but now its working just fine. Got my cpu up to 2.6ghz and got my memory up to 253 2-2-2-8. now im just testing for stablity had to drop the ram though because i have a 3000+ so its running at 237 now :( The Ultra-D is an excelent mobo lots and lots of bios tweaks.

When it comes to cpu if you can get a late 04 chip thats your best bet other than waiting for venice. I first got a CBBID 0503, i ended up swapping it out with a local computer shop for a CBBHD 0444 MPM and boy am i glad i did, so far 9hrs prime95 at 2.6ghz.

Good luck on the video card, see if you can find a referb 6600gt or something that should be in your price range, if not the X800XL is 299 at compusa. Twice what you want to spend but still a good deal for the card.

Back