• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead AN7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

little-man

Ok, my AN7 mobo just died on me. It won't post, it just beeps continuously (long beeps) until I shut it down. I thought it was overheating at first so I switched to a water cooling system and that didn't change a thing. It started after I undid a pin mod on the CPU (I had just used some wire in the socket, so all I had to do was pull the wire out). It worked fine before the mod and during the mod (the mod actually ended up not changing anything, which is why I undid it) but after I undid it it didn't even start to post. The error code showing up on the POST code display is "AF" or sometimes "9F", neither of which are on the list in the manual. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do, or should I just RMA it? BTW, I'm on a time crunch because this is for a senior research project that's due in a month.

~Mitchell

P.S. yes, I've reset the bios many times to no avail. I figure I should get that out of the way before a million people suggest it.

That continuous beep-sound means memory error.

I'm assuming the pin-mod you're referring to, is the L12-mod? Removing the L12-mod might have changed the memory settings (like the FSB:RAM-ratio), which could be the source of your problem.

Try to fire it up with just one memory stick. Then enter the BIOS if you can, and check if the FSB and RAM is in sync.

I wish it were that simple, but I've already tried it with just one memory stick and it still won't even start to post, so there's no way to get into the bios. I already ordered a new bios chip from ABIT, so that might do the trick if the problem is with the FSB settings. I might try swiping a stick from the machine I'm on right now, but I don't think that would help anything. Anyways, my parental units wouldn't be too happy if I screwed up this computer.

~Mitchell

Good news! I got it to boot!

bad news, I can only use one RAM slot (the isolated one). It won't post if anything's in the other two.

Does not sound like bad ram, because It's working in one slot. Try Putting the L12 Mod back on the CPU, then Unplug the computer, then remove the BIOS battery, then press the power button a few times to drain the PSU. Then power on the comp without a BIOS battery and then shut down real quick. Put the battery back in and hopefully the comp will boot. If it does not then it's not a BIOS issue.

I had the Exact same problem when I undid a Vdimm mod on my AN7... after I pulled the wire mod off the solder point that happened... it dropped the Vdimm down to about 2.0 volts, not enuff to power the RAM

Miguita is correct, the beep code and POST code refer to RAM... you have probably RMA'd the board at this point.. but I would get a multimeter and check the voltage going to your RAM Slots, that was my problem, I reconnected the Vdimm mod and it worked fine....

if one slot works for you and the others don't... again check the Vdimm of all 3 slots and if you're not getting power to the non functional slots then RMA the board..

Back