• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX passively cooled 6600GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks cool :eek: Although i think the temps might get too high IMO :(

But i like this more:

And if that weren’t enough, those XFX boys have only gone Hollywood on us too. Filming is underway for a new series in which the ordinary crap PC owner gets a complete system overhaul, free of charge… in LA, at XFX’s expense!

You’ve seen MTVs ‘Pimp My Ride’, well XFX reckon they can do it too with ‘Extreme PC Garage’. So get ready for plenty of needless angling grinding and high fives as modding and overclocking become the new cool… and sit back in the happy knowledge that you’ve been cool for ages.

:clap: :clap:

Voodoo Rufus said:
It says in the article that it can come OC'ed to 650MHz, so I'm down with that. :D
...:eek: Woa. Most guys dont even get 600 overclocked much less 650 stock :eek:

Plus they said they are going to ahve one with a TV tuner. :beer:

Nothing like being able to pick and pull show parts off an assembly line of thousands! A passively cooled 6600GT? They can hardly stay cool enough actively cooled - this is truly ridiculous! That cheapo aluminum plate fin heatsink will cook that card without proper airflow...I guess they're out to prove that the 127C threshold is meant to be tripped. :mad:

I cant understand why they passively cool a more powerful card :confused:

Imgine the temps! :eek:

I doubt that the production boards will be faster than 500mhz. And the temperatures are likely to be obscene! It appears they did some tinkering with the power supply/voltage control circuity and revised the layout of the board. Perhaps they are running the cheap a little lean on voltage or they happen to have a few superb .11cu yield NV43 chips to tease us with!

Well, the Egg has this in stock:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150090

Standard 6600 PCIE, passive sink, but no SLI. Also, the Hexus article now states the card as a 6600, not a GT. What's with the molex connector on it? XFX's site does not list the passive version either. Memory is listed as 500MHz, not 550 or 650 like the article. Oh well. I'd still consider it.

Mmmm... That card looks mutli purpose. I always need an extra burner to cook up some eggs for breakfast!

I think that if you want quiet, and you want fast, than you should water cool it.

Passive is fine for a lower power card, but the 6600s get pretty hot. I wouldn't even dream of passivly cooling a 6800.

With a big enough slug of copper you can cool anything, as Consumer's sink has proven. But temps >80C scare me. For an HTPC type application with little airflow, or even worse, ones with L-connectors for low profile, some sort of small quiet fan would probably be preferred.

I've seen my XFX 6600GT with stock cooling at 85c while doing 3DMark 05. I cannot even imagine this frying pan remaining stable with no fan. I was only at 600mhz core.
650mhz passive sounds just insane.

More power to them if they can really make it work. I have my doubts.

Back