• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Need a Cabel Modam!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

since charter is full of a bunch of ****ing idiots and charging me for all the free months of modem rental i should have gotten for free after the free modem rental period was up i am going to bash this ****TTTY ambit modem in to a billion peices and give it back to them

so can any one reccomend a good fast modem?

i dont get into networking stuff but i do know some modems have things like different versions of docis (or something) that help make it a lil faster...

oh an the ability to uncap would be an added plus as long as it were easy like the old motorolla modems

IT is illegal to uncap your modem and also against the rules of the forums to ask for this kind of assistance but I use the motorola surfboard SB5100 and no you can't uncap it like the old ones....:p

I had toshiba but got rid of it because it was causing massive packet loss

I also like the Motorola Surfboard 5100. I have it, my cousin, most of my clients. Simple, reliable, cool looking, ahh.... simple... no I said that already...

It's a fine modem.

I also run a Motorola Surfboard on my Charter connection. It runs 24/7 with no problems surving 3 people. it's an older model, I think it's an SB3100. I know it uses docsis 1.1. Supports a 3mb/256kb connection.

I use to have an RCA modem that came with my comcast connection. It was a rental modem, but I never had any problems with it.

I bought a 3COM modem to replace my RCA, and I've been having problems with it lately. I'm not sure whether it's the connection or the modem, but I get dropped connections a few times a week. I'm not sure the exact model number, but it's similar to model 3CR29220.

If your just running a 3mb connection, most any modem should be fine. Connections speeds in most areas aren't pushing the limits of cable modems. Look for something on sale or cheap.

Charter will be all over you if you try to upcap your modem. I've had someone try that, within 24 hours there service was shut down and they wouldn't reconnect it until they moved out of the place.

Most any modem works for charter as long as its 3MB capabile.

Bios24 said:
I bought a 3COM modem to replace my RCA
Try having your provider ping and test your modem if they can. I know some of the 3COMs are good for giving high packet loss(about the only good thing they are good for). I had to replace two of them. IMO 3COM is poo. Slow connections, packet loss and generaly slow internet.
I have had more issues on them then any other brand.

forgot about this post

i'm not asking about uncapping i was just kinda curious if it were easy like the old modems and aparently its not so thats ok....when ever my connection gets bad i'll just call and ***** since they do NOT know how to maintain the network here..

any one else have any input?

did you ever think that you might be on the end of the line and on peek hours your badwith is beeing eaten away from the box?
and did you try to renew the ip address? sometimes i have to renew the one on my modem...

well if u want a modem just ebay it or go to fry's.... or Outpost.com... fry's web site

Um, the bandwidth for it should not be eaten up during peak hours (this isn't DSL). As for the free modem items, I don't think modem rental is all that high (5 per month tops), and that is after the promo for a free modem lease, which it seems you were in.

For busting up the modem, try not to do that. You will get billed for it, which if that doesn't get paid, goes on your credit, and to collections, and it will haunt you when you need good credit someday. Plus, I have seen some law enforcement involvement some times (we had someone smash a digital box at the local office. They paid for it, cops and all).

And for uncapping, the ISPs will notice that in less than 24 hours. They have projects where empoyees uncapp the modem, run it, then hand over what it looks like to the network tech, so the network techs can design alarms on the network to show when there is an uncapped modem. I work for a cable ISP myself, and have caught an uncapped modem, as it will affect other services, and when we look at the node, we will see it right away. And then we re-audit the modems on that node, and if you have a hacked CM file, we see it, overwrite it, and shut it down for you to call in. I am sure that Charter does that as well.

Be patient with your ISPs. I know that it at least works with anyone dealng with me, they do know what they are doing (yes, even our competitors), but if you aren't spoutning vulgarites and don't get worked up, but want some problem fixed, they should go the distance for ya. Else, let me know, I have some contacts in that area, I can see that some things get done.

As for a poor connection, it's great if you call them up on that, here's what you can ask them for, though, instead of just bitching.....

Again (and I should sticky this for Cable Modems) (this is the third or fourth time I have posted this)

Get this info from them, with readings to the modem:
Make sure you have no splitter in room, and minimal splitters on the line to modem.
Transmit power (must be below +52 db)--Low will cause FLAPS
Downstream Power (between -11 and +11 db)--Out of bounds will cause FLAPS
Upstream SNR (above +30)--Low will cause packet loss maybe. Below 25, will, guaranteed
Downstream SNR (above +30)--Low will cause packet loss maybe. Below 25, will, guaranteed

Then get their info....
BLADE Upstream SNR (needs to be above 25)--Less tempermental, if low, ALL on the blade will get slow speeds/packet loss
BLADE Downstream SNR (needs to be above 25)--Less tempermental, if low, ALL on the blade will get slow speeds/packet loss

Get this info. Anything out of bounds, they need to fix it. Especially if it is on the blade. They will have to get a network engineer on that one then, but I have seen it, working in the Cable Modem / Internet support.

--UlicBelouve

Kromix said:
did you ever think that you might be on the end of the line and on peek hours your badwith is beeing eaten away from the box?
and did you try to renew the ip address? sometimes i have to renew the one on my modem...

well if u want a modem just ebay it or go to fry's.... or Outpost.com... fry's web site

thats the problem kromix

it will not let me renew the IP address....i cannot change the MAC like i was able to before i moved...and the thing that irritates me the most is it has NO reset button...

and i also hate it when people who post long threads regarding thins already gone over and stuff thats just obvious...sorry just a pet peeve

Er,

You reset the modem by power cycling it.

Unplug, wait one minute, and then replug this. This will allow the modem to reconnect to the CMMS or database server, and get the provisioning file again. Release/renew may eventually get you a new IP address (it gets rid of the one you have, then asks for a new one and often gets teh same one back), but I seriously doubt that the IP address is the problem, so long as you are getting a legit IP address, getting a new legit IP address will likely not change anything.

I would again guess that if is is a problem on your end, the above-mentioned signal tests will reflect that, as a splitter or bad cord will degrade some of those decibel levels. If it is a peak-hour issue, it would just be something in their routing then, and they should track that.

MAC ID for cable modem is what is assigned into the cable modem. Those cannot be changed, it is the obvious unique identification for that piece of equipment. And I see no real need to express a pet peeve, it just ends up turning people off from giving you aid.

UlicBelouve said:
Er,

You reset the modem by power cycling it.

Unplug, wait one minute, and then replug this. This will allow the modem to reconnect to the CMMS or database server, and get the provisioning file again. Release/renew may eventually get you a new IP address (it gets rid of the one you have, then asks for a new one and often gets teh same one back), but I seriously doubt that the IP address is the problem, so long as you are getting a legit IP address, getting a new legit IP address will likely not change anything.
MAC ID for cable modem is what is assigned into the cable modem. Those cannot be changed, it is the obvious unique identification for that piece of equipment. And I see no real need to express a pet peeve, it just ends up turning people off from giving you aid.

All true. MACs addresses are factory asigned to each IP device. Can't be changed. Some routers let you clone a MAC but I fail to see where you would need that. A reset button is nice but a power cycle does the same thing.

The Surfboard 5100 has a reset button. I like mine. Now that Comcast has bumped everyone to a 4 Mbps connection, the thing still runs like a champ. If you haven't replaced your modem yet, I still recomend the SB5100. You will have to call your ISP and have them change the MAC on your account before the new modem will work.

Um, the bandwidth for it should not be eaten up during peak hours (this isn't DSL). As for the free modem items, I don't think modem rental is all that high (5 per month tops), and that is after the promo for a free modem lease, which it seems you were in.
I think you have that the wrong way around... cable is shared and if everyone on your block is downloading at their max bandwidth, you'll probally be slower because the network wasn't made to give a full burst to EVERYONE on that line at the same time.

On DSL your speed doesn't change, it's just you and the server.

Niku-Sama said:
thats the problem kromix

it will not let me renew the IP address....i cannot change the MAC like i was able to before i moved...and the thing that irritates me the most is it has NO reset button...

You can't reset the MAC addy if using the same modem. The MAC addy is tied to your account. They use it to verifiy who you are on the network, and also to keep track of there modems/hardware.

I had a secondary modem that I wanted to switch to, and charter gave some lame excuse that it was theres (MAC addy matched with one in the data base) which ****ed me off since it came from a compeditor.

Back