• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a bit of help, please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Femto

Now, I have almost no experience with networking whatsoever, I mean, I know a couple of things, but nothing exactly what I'd call "advanced". I'd like to setup a working network, but have had no luck in the past.

We have 5 computers in our home, split in 3 different levels. In the basement, where I am right now, we have our modem, router, a linux rig and the computer I'm on right now.

One level higher, there is my main computer, and my brother's computer. They're right next to each other, receiving internet from the basement via switch. There are 2 printers. One will be connected to my brother's computer, and one to mine. Or maybe both connected to mine, we only have one of the USB cables for a printer right now.

Another level higher, there is my sister's computer, located in her room. All of the computer's are running WinXP Home Edition, except mine and the linux rig, which are running WinXP Pro and Debian.

Now, so far I have created a workgroup, called "FAMILY", respectively. I have run the network setup wizard, each computer has been placed into this workgroup, except the Linux/Debian rig, which I'm not even sure if my dad wants into the network anyway. Now, when I try to connect to other computer's via mine, I run into these issues:

A - Cannot find my sister's computer
B - Cannot "go into" anybody else's computer
C - I hate networking

Okay, so the last comment wasn't very necessary, but you get the just. Also, I receive errors that "I'm not allowed" into the computer, etc. I just tried searching for other computers on this computer also, no dice. Not one. Wtf? Most likely their firewalls are running -_-

Even so, I'd still like to understand this whole concept and how to "enable" free printer/computer sharing etc. Very irritating, but probably easy to fix.

Thanks in advance,
Femto

there are a few things to make sure to check before you get to up set. (side note imho i love networking ;) )

1) Make sure that each computer is really set up the way you want, the only way one can do this is to go to EACH computer. Check using the networking tab that the computer is in your "Family" workgroup.
2)Next make sure that every computer has "Shared Files" enabled.

I have had this problem too, i linked my laptop to my computer. I couldn't see the laptop from my computer but i could see my computer from my laptop. i still don't know what was "wrong" but i did get it to work enough. Good luck and have fun.
KF

ticktock123 said:
there are a few things to make sure to check before you get to up set. (side note imho i love networking ;) )

1) Make sure that each computer is really set up the way you want, the only way one can do this is to go to EACH computer. Check using the networking tab that the computer is in your "Family" workgroup.
2)Next make sure that every computer has "Shared Files" enabled.

I have had this problem too, i linked my laptop to my computer. I couldn't see the laptop from my computer but i could see my computer from my laptop. i still don't know what was "wrong" but i did get it to work enough. Good luck and have fun.
KF

Where is this "networking" tab?

Thanks for your help so far,
Femto

Also, I tried accessing the workgroup from my sister's computer upstairs, and it found all the computers in the workgroup, just couldn't 'open' any of them except hers.

Back