• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is GSkill (TCCD) memory that good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozziegn

Okay, so I've been itching to try different type of memory. I've had my Corsair PC3200 (BH-5 equiped) memory for quite some time and its always run like a champ. I've been able to run it at 250FSB at a 1:1 ratio w/o any single problems.

but I was wondering if it'd be worth it to upgrade to something like the GSkill PC4400 thats equiped with Samsung TCCD chips?

I see that Newegg has them but they almost always sell out as soon as they get them back in stock.

so what do you guys think? would it be worth my time and spend the extra money on the SKill stuff or just keep what I already have?

well what fsb do you want to hit? if over 300 get the gskill otherwise keep the tight timings of the bh5

In short, the change ("upgrade" might be too optimistic) will probably not be worth your time, unless number 1 opens up possibilities for you.

1) You have to match the RAM to the processor frequency you want to run - this partially depends on the multi's you have available. For example, if you are running a AMD64 3000+, you only have a x9 multi at your disposal, so if your ram can run 315 and you have a good chip that will give you 9*315=2835mhz... Comparitively for this example, if you had BH5, you might be looking at 9*250=2250mhz.

2) Also, note this:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3476357&postcount=198
hitechjb1 said:
In conjunction with the 30-42% for memory read of 1 to 8 burst, and the 33% typical based on analytical estimation by counting read access cycles (see link below), it is fair to establish that memory with 2.5-3-3-7 1T would need 25-30% higher bus frequency to break even with memory with 2-2-2-5 1T timing for memory performance in memory intensive applications.

This essentially means that BH5 at 250mhz would roughly break even with TCCD at 315mhz in memory performance, due to the difference in timing. So memory performance here is basically equal.

3) The final thing you need to take into account here, is the voltage that you will need to run. TCCD can do the above at or around 2.8v, while BH5 will likely need to run at something around 3.3v.

4) There was something else that goes here, but I was watching family guy while typing this, and now I don't remember what else I wanted to tell you.

5) I think this was supposed to be number 4 - If you are buying new, it seems more sensible to get TCCD for the greater flexibility (it can also run tight timings at lower frequency). If you really are looking at changing from one to the other though, you need to have a clear goal of what you hope to attain.

What will the higher frequency allow you to change or improve about your system?

I just don't believe that you would benefit much, if any, from switching to TCCD in lieu of your BH-5 running at 250 (3.5GHz) with tight timings.

Don't get me wrong...I like TCCD but, well, I REALLY like BH-5.

I.M.O.G. said:
The final thing you need to take into account here, is the voltage that you will need to run. TCCD can do the above at or around 2.8v, while BH5 will likely need to run at something around 3.3v.

A lot of people are finding out that TCCD does like voltage over 3.1v...between 3.0 and 3.1v seems to be a dead spot for some...3.1v being the main dead spot...

This still wont get most TCCD's running with trcd at 2 beyond 230 or so...but it does give them much tighter timings at higher HTT's...

Side note: Will be trying this out in the next day or so...booster is less then 1/2 mile waiting to be delievered...

I'm quite sure that if memory serves me right isnt tccd only a real good choice for people running amd's as it seems to do quite well in comparison to tccd with an intel, which would make me recommend against the change...

darkknight187 said:
I'm quite sure that if memory serves me right isnt tccd only a real good choice for people running amd's as it seems to do quite well in comparison to tccd with an intel, which would make me recommend against the change...

This is true...did not look at his sig...

The PC4800 rating is for A64's systems...not Intel systems...they are only rated up to DDR500...this is strickly G. Skill's rating...not sure of the other makers excpet OCZ...

Back