• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got new G.skill LE's 2x512 SPD ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdrash

Senior Member, Benching Team Member
I received my new G.Skill ram today. I was excited, but now abit confused. The package tells me the timings are 2-2-2-5 at DDR400 and 2.5-3-3-7 at DDR550.

What confuses me is the SPD timings as reported by CPU-Z (Version 1.27), the SPD timings are 2.5-4-4-8 at DDR400 (200mhz) and 3-6-6-11 at DDR550 (277mhz).

I am able to run the ram at DDR 400/PC3200 speeds with 2-2-2-5 timings....just confused why the SPD is not the same as packaging.

Does this have anything to do with the JDEC standards? Like perhaps SPD timings are just programmed per JDEC standards but the ICs are capable of much more? I thought JDEC standards stopped at PC3200 (but not sure).....

Anyways let me know what you guys think....I am confused.

All the ram I have ever used is the same way. The advertised timings are always faster than the SPD. The SPD timings are slower and sure fire stable for the average non-enthusiats. Don't be concerned just run those puppies as fast as they will go, which is pretty darn fast. Enjoy!

As far as I know, SPD is for maximum compatibility, not maximum performance. Timings are conservative to ensure initial bootup and operation, not to run on the bleeding edge.

EDIT: too slow :D

none of that stuff matters to us maniacs.. the most important thing is how good does it run????????. if it KRANKS then u have a good set... put those badboys in and see what theyll do, then lets us know about it.....

Dont put 0% faith on the SPD timings...

SPD.JPG

thnx for the words of encouragement all......I am in the process now of testing various settings...trying to find that elusive sweet spot. probably will take me a week or so to play around with these :p

Back