• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra-D + OCZ PowerStream 520W: Power Connections

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kukyfrope

OK so I'm going about plugging in my power connectors and realize I'm a bit confused here :)

The Ultra-D has a 24-pin ATX connector. On the PowerStream, there is the ATX connector but it only has 20-pins, but a 4-pin plug is wrapped with a cable tie to the 20-pin. Do I plug the 20-pin in the bottom of the Ultra-D ATX connector, then plug in the 4-pin towards the top of that to flex-out the full 24-pin connector on the motherboard? I was under the impression that the PowerStream had a solid 24-pin connector and not 20+4. Does this hurt stability?

Also, regarding the 4-pin connector on the motherboard to the LEFT of the ATX connector... what plug do I put in here? Do I use one of the two blue P4 connectors from the PowerStream, or is this where the above 4-pin cable goes that's cable-tied to the ATX connector?

My gut instinct tells me to do what I suggested above, the 20+4 --> 24-pin on the mobo then a P4 in the 4-pin plug on the left, but I just wanted to clarify so I don't flubba-dub :)

The four pin plug that is wrapped with the 20pin should slide right on the end of the 20pin connector (my enermax 460 whisper had the same deal) .
the other 4-pin power connector next to the main 24pin main power on the mobo looks like a smaller pci-e plug coming off the power supply should be white
(the Pci-e plugs are black) and there is only one on your psu so it be hard to miss. Just plug it in and you should be set.

I'm confused about the last part of your reply. I don't see a white connector comming off my PSU, all connectors are black. I see the one and only PCI-Express connector from my PSU, but it's 6-pins and the female plug on the motherboard is 4-pins...

kukyfrope said:
I'm confused about the last part of your reply. I don't see a white connector comming off my PSU, all connectors are black. I see the one and only PCI-Express connector from my PSU, but it's 6-pins and the female plug on the motherboard is 4-pins...

The 20 + 4 pin go together to make the 24 pin. Thats how it is one my 600W Powerstream and I think the new 520w are like that also now.

Here is a pic from a review: Link

Ah, yea, ok! The P4 connector plugs in perfectly, while the P4+ connector does not even fit in there.

Now. The PCI-Express connector from the PowerStream... it's 6-pin but has no home. I have a 6600GT PCI-E card which has no power plugs on it. Is this 6-pin connector off the power supply power only required for 6800 cards?

kukyfrope said:
Ah, yea, ok! The P4 connector plugs in perfectly, while the P4+ connector does not even fit in there.

Now. The PCI-Express connector from the PowerStream... it's 6-pin but has no home. I have a 6600GT PCI-E card which has no power plugs on it. Is this 6-pin connector off the power supply power only required for 6800 cards?

Im not 100% sure about this one but i havent seen any recent cards with the need of a pcie power connector (my 6800NU's dont need one, or a molex for that matter). What you do need to plug in though (especially if youre gonna use SLI) is the floppy type connector thats just above the uppermost pcie16x slot.

I think the molex, and floppy power that the board has are needed. The funny thing is that I've gotten the board to work without em. I think the floppy connector is to aid in the high vdimm above 3.2v? I dunno what the molex is for, tho... stability?

g0dM@n said:
I think the molex, and floppy power that the board has are needed. The funny thing is that I've gotten the board to work without em. I think the floppy connector is to aid in the high vdimm above 3.2v? I dunno what the molex is for, tho... stability?

I think the floppy is for SLI i heard. I have it on one rig, not on the other....no difference. I use the molex, no reason not to :p

Back