• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU block for 6800gt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

covana2244

I am planning on buying a 6800gt to water cool and was wondering what is a good gpu block that will fit the nvidia 6800gt?
Thanks
-kyle

The Danger Den NV-68 looks like it might be preety sweet and even tho ive never used one the rest of there waterblocks are preety nice so i might check that out

the silverprop fusion and the new maze4 with Acetal top are ur best ones. the NV-68 is just to expensive and restrictive.

lithker said:
the silverprop fusion and the new maze4 with Acetal top are ur best ones. the NV-68 is just to expensive and restrictive.

WOW a $125 bucks!

your right man if i had checked the price i prob never woulda recommended that.... i even had to go check it when i read your post lol

is it restrictive? if its got nothing else going for it it does look cool LoL :p

I have the Swiftech MCW50 with heatsinks on the VC ram on a BFG 6800GT. Temps stay under 50c at stock speeds (which are slightly overclocked on this card). Not the flashiest thing out there, but it works.

Got the MCW50 on my card to. Good block, I rarely go 50 under load with my OC. It's an older block though, so I don't know how it compares to the newer Maze4. The Maze 4 is cheaper however, if you take into account that you also have to buy the mounting adapter and if you have a 1/2" setup the adapter for those to.

I have the Maze4 Acetal top block on my eVGA 6800GT @ Ultra speeds. Idle temps with this are 38c and load is 43c. I had to replace the VC ram do to how tall they were, which was ok cause I had copper ram sinks laying around.

Yeah just grab a Maze4 Acetal and some ramsinks if you don't want to spend too much. I have one on my 6600gt (had to do some major dremel work on the ramsinks though)

I have a Brass top Maze 4 on mine, works awesome.

Looks purty too. The acetal is lighter though.

They do have the chrome ones now too, REALLY purty. of course its a little tough to see your GPU water block, but STILL!

i just yesterday got the DD nv-68 and im OC'd 420/1150 idle temps are 43c and full rthdribl load are 53, i think the block works pretty good,

also i how are you guys finding your true load temps? i use to just play doom3 for like 30min then hit the window button quick to see, but that wasnt acurate.

i think if you used RTHDRIBL, if you arent already you will have much different load temps..

crayzboost said:
i just yesterday got the DD nv-68 and im OC'd 420/1150 idle temps are 43c and full rthdribl load are 53, i think the block works pretty good,

also i how are you guys finding your true load temps? i use to just play doom3 for like 30min then hit the window button quick to see, but that wasnt acurate.

i think if you used RTHDRIBL, if you arent already you will have much different load temps..

hmm i did a search for rthdribl, it's a demo of somesorts i take it? i will try it.

Shuzzy said:
hmm i did a search for rthdribl, it's a demo of somesorts i take it? i will try it.

yeah it is, and it works your gfx card like hell, you will be suprised what your load temps will be with that, ive heard people sometimes can only run it in window mode because at full screen they will crash..i run it full screen except for a little bit at the bottom so i can see my temps, like this

Yeah, the NV68 is spendy, but I'm sure impressed with it. Using SpeedFan's logging feature (SpeedFan can read the 6800's temp sensors), I record temps during game play. I've never seen the GPU get any higher than 48C since installing the NV68. With the stock BFG air cooling it would get into the low 70s and start artifacting. Maximum o/c on air was 438/1120. On water I'm at 468/1240. I think I'm now volt-limited rather than temp limited. I may try the volt mod when I get up enough energy to pull the vid card out and remove the NV68 to get to the resistor.

Regarding the NV68 being restrictive, I flow tested it, the RBX (with #4 nozzle) and the Maze4 (was on the NB, took it off because it interfered with the NV68 backer plate) before I installed the system. The NV68 was the least restrictive of the three.

Maze 4 w/ acetal top + some BGA ramsinks will offer you good (some of the best) performance at a decent cost

{AG}Sgt.Stryker said:
Yeah, the NV68 is spendy, but I'm sure impressed with it. Using SpeedFan's logging feature (SpeedFan can read the 6800's temp sensors), I record temps during game play. I've never seen the GPU get any higher than 48C since installing the NV68. With the stock BFG air cooling it would get into the low 70s and start artifacting. Maximum o/c on air was 438/1120. On water I'm at 468/1240. I think I'm now volt-limited rather than temp limited. I may try the volt mod when I get up enough energy to pull the vid card out and remove the NV68 to get to the resistor.

Regarding the NV68 being restrictive, I flow tested it, the RBX (with #4 nozzle) and the Maze4 (was on the NB, took it off because it interfered with the NV68 backer plate) before I installed the system. The NV68 was the least restrictive of the three.
how did you monitor your vga temps with speedfan? i downloaded it to see that logging feature but i cant seem to find it, where is it? also what are your idle temps? thanks

crayzboost said:
how did you monitor your vga temps with speedfan? i downloaded it to see that logging feature but i cant seem to find it, where is it? also what are your idle temps? thanks
I'm at work right now, so I'm going from memory on this. First you need to make sure SMBus PCI monitoring is enabled in your BIOS. Then load SpeedFan (after booting Windows, of course!). Watch the little scrolling window on the SF main page as it reads through the various data sources and you should see it sensing (I forget the exact wording) some nVidia sources (you can scroll back with the standard Windows scroll bar on the right side of the Window if you miss it). Once it has completed looking for sensors, it will list all the temperature sensors in the window on the lower right. You'll see some generic labels for the various temps, like Temp 1, Temp 2, etc. On my set-up (YMMV) it lists a "Local" temp and a "Remote" temp. Go to the Configure dialog and you'll see Tabs for the various types of readings. Click the Temps tab, and you see a list of the temps and the chip that is providing the readings. You should see that for Local and Remote temps (or whatever it's being labelled on your installation) the source chip is a MAXIM 1617 (not absolutley sure about that number, but it's close), which is the temp sensor chip on the 6800 (and maybe other nVidia cards). I forget which is which, but one is the GPU temp and the other is the "ambient" temp as shown on the temp page of vid card control panel. It would more accurately be called the case temp. Obviously the higher temp will be the GPU.

As far as logging, go to the Configure dialog and you'll see a tab labelled "Log." Click on that tab and check the "Enable" check box. That will open up some configuration options. The logging feature creates a delimited text file that you can load into Excel and create charts. The Help feature in SF explains how to do it. You have to access Help through the Start|Programs|SpeedFan program group.

My idle temp is reported as 32C for the GPU and 38C for the CPU. Case temp at idle is usually in the high 20s. Ambient is usually 21-22C. My rad is outside my box.

Good luck! Sarge

BTW, some games don't like SpeedFan running in the background, at least on my set-up.

you could just use rivatuner... it records your temps while you do other things... that's how i found out my 6800U was maxxing out at 72C. i used to use crayzboost's method but i also found that it seemed low.

I read somewhere that the Maze4 and the MCW50 were almost identical in performance and that neither one had better waterflow over the other. (well, at least nothing worth noting...)

I just installed a brass maze 4 on my eVGA 6800GT. Working great, GPU temps dropped 23C. :cool: :)

gpu3.JPG

gpu4.JPG

gputemp.JPG

Back