• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding as a service

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
At work, I am no longer allowed to leave my machine logged it. However, I am allowed to restart and leave it at the Novell login screen. If I were to reinstall F@H as a service install, would it fold while at the login screen? I know that it wouldn't send/recieve WUs but at least it would be folding.

Yes it should. The FAH Installer runs FAH as a system service, which means it is run when the system is on.

Sure will.

Why don't they want you to leave it logged in? If they are worried about someone casually walking up and getting on your machine, you could set it to password protect when it comes out of the screensaver.

It is mostly security. Some one walking up to the machine. But also, we only push updates to the machines on boot. If I don't boot, no updates to Novell, McAfee, XP, etc. The bottom line is that the guy who writes my paycheck said not to leave it logged in, so I won't.

Thanks for the info guys. My part time rig is now a little less part time.

Fold on. Build, Borg, Recruite.

At least you have local admin privledges to do the service install. For those who don not have such access (but have permission to fold), using the task scheduler is just almost as good. Simply reboot instead of logging out and schedule the task to run at startup- logging in and out can still give a task scheduled client trouble.

Thanks guys. I reinstalled it as a service. I was able to save my current WU. I did it at the end of the day rebooted and left it at the login screen. I'll see on Monday.

Back