• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternate biocide??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mat1314

Ok guys heres the deal...I ve got an acrylic res and do not want to screw up the glue joints or crack it by throwing some iodine into my loop...So my question is what alternative is there for me to put in??

Thanks in Advance!

Antifreeze will not work as a biocide in WC loops. I know from first hand experience. Like previously stated, algaecide from a pet store, or bacteriostat for humidifiers will do the job.

ZachM said:
Antifreeze will not work as a biocide in WC loops. I know from first hand experience.

I too have just figured that out firsthand. I just recently redid my setup. Although, I didn't notice any growth in my loop the bottle of VW coolant/distilled water I premixed from my original wc install, had floaties in it. That was only like 4 months ago. Kinda surprised me. I thought the antifreeze would take care of that.

Good info on the algaecide. I was getting ready ask the same question. :cool:

p.s. Iodine isn't good for acrylic or lucite??? I've never heard that. More good info. :)

Last edited:
really, you guys have had buildup in your systems? Huh... I've been using antifreeze for the last 4 years and havent had any living stuff in any of my systems. I've stained my tubes red nicely after 4 years, but no living stuff :)

Put some (pure) silver in your loop.

Silver is a natural biocide, being highly toxic to simple organisms. Silver used to be used as a fairly potent anti-biotic until penicillin was discovered. It worked well - apart from the side-effect of turning the skin of people who took it grey.

Cathar said:
Put some (pure) silver in your loop.

Silver is a natural biocide, being highly toxic to simple organisms. Silver used to be used as a fairly potent anti-biotic until penicillin was discovered. It worked well - apart from the side-effect of turning the skin of people who took it grey.
Sounds like a +1 for silver blocks, besides just looking pretty?

Will the silver react with copper? I'm not worried for the pump - I'm sure it will be ok. But what about galvanization, will it be ok?

Yes, silver will react with copper over time. Nowhere near as bad as aluminum or steel would, more like just a little bit worse than brass and copper, but it will react. But the corrosion reaction will be subtracting ions from the copper and adding them to the silver, so if you put some silver powder or something like that in your lines you wont notice corrosion of your blocks, only maybe a little darkening of the water in yoru tubes... Either way remember, antifreeze or any type of glycol combats corrosion

Back