• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiane

Ever since i switched from classic seti to bionic my video card is running hot and when i play halo it over heats (the alarm beeps when it hits 140 degrees on the heat sink) its a radeon 9200 before this there was no problem and i never use the graph display just keep bionic running in the tray anyone got any idea why this is happening? :confused:

Boinc shouldn't be stressing a vid card bad enough that it overheats... Then again, I don't have that prob atm. If you haven't already, I'd check to see if the fan is working or the sink isn't full of dust (perhaps do this with all the hs&f's in the case).

i checked the fan its working fine and the system is less then a month old this only started since i started using bionic and if i turn bionic off it stops the temp of the video card drops ten degrees when bionic is not running also i can find not dirt and if or dust on the fan or heat sink of the video card or the cpu but i blew them off anyway =) also all the case fans (3 of them) are working

Make sure your refresh rate is not higher than the video card can handle. Also your Resolution may be too high make sure to check your video properties . Iff you have book on video card or and can go online for documentation you may need to . Sometimes refresh rates and resolution can change on a computer without your intervention at all. It Just happens!!! Iff it is none of that ; it could very well be you have bad video processor or like Creepy said it could be a hot case problem. Just make sure you dont go over the refresh rate for your chosen resolution. It would maybe be best to put refresh rate to default for now to see iff that helps . Good Luck !!! :)

kaine, how many of those fans blow into the case? Generally, you would want more air into the case than out. At this time, my vote would be a hot case. Get that in check and everything else (the vid temps) will fall into place. :)

Your vid card could also have overclocked eng or mem. I dont know your ATI video preferences or software you have installed . Iff your not sure and all else fails that has been mentioned by the others fails for you ; then uninstall your ati drivers and software ; reboot computer then reinstall everything and that might set all your video settings back to their default or to manufacturer sugested settings :D

reinstalling the drivers worked i downloaded them from the ati web sight now its back to normal =P thanks for the help=P

Back